• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how does scaling actually work? I don't get it!! (1 Viewer)

minty388

HSC
Hey everyone

I've just finished year 11 :D

My subjects for 2010 HSC will be
Modern History, English Advanced, Legal, General Maths, Italian Cont., and 1 unit SOR.

I decided to drop Biology after passing my Prelim exam by 3 marks *GULP*:burn:

How will these scale?? I have no idea....

Also, can someone explain to me how scaling actually works?? I have no clue!!

thanks

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
don't concern yourself with scaling.

do your best ni your subjects and scaling won't matter at all.

if you're still curious there is a shitload of threads on scaling, search it up

HSC
lol i failed my bio prelim exam so i think i was in a worse position than you. i still kept it though =P

zeleboy

HSC
Hey everyone

I've just finished year 11 :D

My subjects for 2010 HSC will be
Modern History, English Advanced, Legal, General Maths, Italian Cont., and 1 unit SOR.

I decided to drop Biology after passing my Prelim exam by 3 marks *GULP*:burn:

How will these scale?? I have no idea....

Also, can someone explain to me how scaling actually works?? I have no clue!!

thanks
Just a quick response on it to save you searching:

Upon receiving your HSC mark (ie the average between your external and internal marks), that mark undergoes scaling.

Scaling the mark means that it's changed, the changed mark is then used to calculate your ATAR.

Harder subjects, like sciences, maths or languages, tend to scale up. That is, say you receive a HSC mark of 95, it may go up to 98 or 100 etc.

However, relatively easy subjects (vege subjects) scale down. This means that even though on your HSC you may have a mark of 90, it actually goes down to 80 etc.

You should not worry about scaling as most subjects will have an even scaling mark (not the technically correct word). That is, if you perform extremely well say 95+ most subjects will not scale you down.

[Generalisation] To achieve a UAI of 97, you need a scaled mark of 85 in each subject ie an aggregate of 425.00.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You don't need to understand scaling to do well in school. I'm almost finished Yr 12, and I haven't the foggiest clue, still.

jet

Banned
HSC
Just a quick response on it to save you searching:

Upon receiving your HSC mark (ie the average between your external and internal marks), that mark undergoes scaling.

Scaling the mark means that it's changed, the changed mark is then used to calculate your ATAR.

Harder subjects, like sciences, maths or languages, tend to scale up. That is, say you receive a HSC mark of 95, it may go up to 98 or 100 etc.

However, relatively easy subjects (vege subjects) scale down. This means that even though on your HSC you may have a mark of 90, it actually goes down to 80 etc.

You should not worry about scaling as most subjects will have an even scaling mark (not the technically correct word). That is, if you perform extremely well say 95+ most subjects will not scale you down.

To achieve a UAI of 97, you need a scaled mark of 85 in each subject ie an aggregate of 425.00.
Just to clarify, the mark which is scaled is a RAW hsc mark. This is an average of your school mark on the HSC report, and the raw mark you received in the HSC exam for that subject.

zeleboy

HSC
Just to clarify, the mark which is scaled is a RAW hsc mark. This is an average of your school mark on the HSC report, and the raw mark you received in the HSC exam for that subject.
Sorry, I'm open to correct but I thought that when your raw mark is 'changed' to an external mark, the process is called moderation? Maybe I have the terms confused and use them synonymously.

jet

Banned
HSC
Sorry, I'm open to correct but I thought that when your raw mark is 'changed' to an external mark, the process is called moderation? Maybe I have the terms confused and use them synonymously.
Yeah, but the UAC doesn't use the moderated exam marks, they use the raw exam marks averaged with the school mark. It's called a raw exam mark. Ask Lazarus

zeleboy

HSC
Yeah, but the UAC doesn't use the moderated exam marks, they use the raw exam marks averaged with the school mark. It's called a raw exam mark. Ask Lazarus
I'm pretty sure the University Admissions Centre does not deal with HSC examinations. I think you're referred to the Board of Studies there. I'm also sure Lazarus is one of the most informed members of these boards, if he/she bothers to reply in this thread, then it'll be all cleared. I pose no further argument.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm pretty sure the University Admissions Centre does not deal with HSC examinations. I think you're referred to the Board of Studies there. I'm also sure Lazarus is one of the most informed members of these boards, if he/she bothers to reply in this thread, then it'll be all cleared. I pose no further argument.
OK guys, here's the deal, in simple terms.

You might find it useful to follow along with this flowchart or this flowchart.

The initial process

Everyone starts off with an internal school assessment mark or a raw school assessment mark. That's the mark given to you by your school once you've completed all of your assessments. Your rank in your school according to this mark will also be shown on the Students Online website.

Next, everyone sits the HSC exams (or hands in their major work etc). The Board gives each student a raw examination mark or a total weighted mark based on their performance in the exam. This is the final raw mark for your examination component.

These raw examination marks are used to moderate the raw school assessment marks. In a nutshell, the assessment marks for each school are moved up or down depending on how that school performed in the HSC exam. So, any differences between schools resulting from teachers marking leniently or harshly are removed. The marks assigned by the school just put students in a particular rank order and show the relative gaps between them. Once they're moderated against the exam marks, an initial moderated assessment mark is produced for each student (sometimes just called the 'moderated assessment mark' for short).

Now, each student has a raw examination mark and an initial moderated assessment mark.

These marks follow two different paths.

UAC

For each student, the Technical Committee on Scaling averages the raw examination mark and the initial moderated assessment mark, producing a raw HSC mark.

The raw HSC marks for every course are analysed by the scaling algorithm, which calculates a new scaled mean and scaled standard deviation for each course.

The raw HSC marks for each course are then scaled so that the marks have the mean and SD determined by the scaling algorithm. This produces scaled HSC marks.

Finally, the scaled HSC marks are aggregated and converted to your ATAR.

Board of Studies

The Board uses the raw band cut-offs determined by its markers to align the raw examination marks and the initial moderated assessment marks to the course standards.

This produces an aligned examination mark and an aligned assessment mark.

(The Board refers to these marks as simply the 'examination mark' and 'assessment mark', but we use the word 'aligned' to distinguish them from the other types of marks.)

The aligned examination mark and aligned assessment mark are averaged to produce an aligned HSC mark.

Finally, all three aligned marks are reported on your Record of Achievement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)