• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how did you come up with your idea? (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
Hey
im having alot of trouble with my MW..
I changed my end of last year, and then just recently i decided i dont like my new one anymore either... and now i've been wrenching my brain trying to come up with a new idea
I just read some of last years short stories and wow... they're all so great..
Its near end of term 1 now, and im back to square one!

Anyway enough of my sob story,
how did you guys come up with your ideas? Did they just come to you? Or were they from personal experiences, about topics you were interested in, or just something you felt like writing about?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
1st-don't be intimidated by the showcase or any other past examples because they have been polished and edited in every single posible way for months on end, they are in no way indicative of what your draft should be like,
2nd- Ideas come from all over the place, mine personally came from watching a tv show and wanting to change the parameters completely and its evolved from there, but if your really stuck perhaps you should look thriugh your book collection and see what stuff you like reading and write in that area(no plaigarising though).
3rd-Don't worry too much yet about time, there is a girl in my class who just moved up from 3unit to 4unit. So as long as you make an effort, then there is definitely still hope.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
my idea came from a book "My Story" by Dave Pelzer.. i read it a few years ago and it touched me in so many ways it wasnt funny, i knew i had to write a similar, yet different story to his.. and thats my story

HSC
N/A
personal experience and other's work - like some .. i dont know, just texts that you've read and have stayed with you

but for me, personal experience is the major factor for my MW - like, coz it's all culture related and - i dont know, you've gotta have soemthing both you and your target audience can relate to.

Goodluck

btw, kami's right - don't be intimidated by the showcase works - remember they're the top of the notch work mate, and they worked on them for the whole year .. so it's been done over and over and over and over and [well you get what i mean] again - and that's how your work will be when you've finished as well!

Cheers!

alayenay

HSC
Geography gave me my inspiration, foxy subject that it is. Just think about your interests and you'll discover an idea you love. Seriously, don't worry, I've had three ideas and only settled on my final one a month ago, and have done shit all research. You're not alone in the fucked department, and I'm sure something will come to you and you'll be fine.

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
alayenay said:
Geography gave me my inspiration, foxy subject that it is. Just think about your interests and you'll discover an idea you love. Seriously, don't worry, I've had three ideas and only settled on my final one a month ago, and have done shit all research. You're not alone in the fucked department, and I'm sure something will come to you and you'll be fine.
I really wouldn't worry about that. I haven't changed my idea so much as its evolved. It now bears as much resemblance to its original form as...well, as a phoenix to a flaming chicken. I haven't researched anywhere near enough....*whine whine* but looking around these forums you find that many people, from past years and this, will be in very similar situations.

...So don't feel stressed!

Liza-LaBoheme

Inside a cave, hiding under blankets while strokin
HSC
i had the one story bouncing around in my head for about 2 years. it gradually took shape as more intersting things happened to me. but i was reluctant to write about it properly because it was about teenagers and i was afraid it would come out more angsty than a Silverchair lyric. but in the end i decided it was the only one i could write because it was the only one i knew enough about. i could either write well on a simple concept or shitely on a complex one. go with your gut.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i was inspired by music. music just puts u in certain moods and i use that to come up with my ideas. if ur absolutely freaking out about ur story idea. u could always go back to ur original and just work at it until ur happy with it. u could always try writing it from a different angle.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Nah, I think I'll just keep whipping cupcakes.

Question: How did you come up with your idea?

Answer: Whipping cupcakes.

Hence, the title of my "SCRIPT": Whipping Cupcakes

roxie_b

HSC
i was inspired by my original idea of doing a short video for my ext 2 major work and then realising i already have way to much on my plate at the moment... one of my stories is based on a short film script

miss cherry

- ladidaaaa -
HSC
i was never realli a writer b4 n my inspiration came frm somethin one of my teachers sed 2 me (workd well for my viva voce!). Also, i've gone bak n read some of my fave books n i'v been inspired by WHY i like them so much n HOW the draw the reader. but i'm still freakin out so, dw =D

HSC
N/A
i think stressing in the hsc is normal
hmm - ideas will come
good luck .. really

listen to everyone, observe everything - it'll hit you!

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i've only written 2000 words.... ._." i changed my idea about 3 tiems and ended up using my first one

i got inspired by pinocchio ! my story revolves around that :p

the teacher expects an 8000 word draft on the first week back :( that's.... 6000 words to write in 2 days... HMMMMMMMMM

Alimoe_KG

HSC
boasboy said:
i've only written 2000 words.... ._." i changed my idea about 3 tiems and ended up using my first one

i got inspired by pinocchio ! my story revolves around that :p

the teacher expects an 8000 word draft on the first week back :( that's.... 6000 words to write in 2 days... HMMMMMMMMM
*pat pat
think of dreamerish and be inspired =)

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
ideas just come to me. i know that sounds really bad and all that... but they really do. i just grab a pen, sit down and i write whatever comes into my head. sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad, but i think that comes with the territory, i think everyone has good days and everyone has bad days.
you just have to keep trying.
thats how i came up with my story... i'm doing fantasy cos i absolutely LOVE fantasy and i was thinking about what sorts of characters and situations go with fantasy and out poured all this weird and exciting stuff... i really hope it works out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)