• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Honours (1 Viewer)

pmtennis

HSC
hi, i read this at the LSS at monash uni and am not sure it is right or not regarding honors

btw, at monash 60-69 = Cred 70-79 = Dis 80+ = HD

Honors
H1 = 75+.....top 5%
H1B = 71-74....next 10%
H2B = 69-70....next 10%
H3 = 67-68....next 10%

so to get honors u need to be in top 35%. I am surprised that you can honors with a high credit average and infact be in the top 15-20% of the cohort with a high credit average. Is this the same at your uni?

also, so from what i gather the top 2 honor brackets highly inceases your chances at getting artices in the big 6 law firms. so would that mean the next 2 honors brackets would put you in good stead for jobs in the mid teir firms.?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Re: Honors

At UOW you need to do a research elective. If you've done this, then the WAM cutoffs are as follows:

Class I: 75% - 100%
Class II, Division 1: 72.5% to less than 75%
Class II, Division 2: 70% to less than 72.5%
Honours not awarded: 0 to less than 70%

At my uni (and I think most other NSW unis), the cutoffs are 85 for HD, 75 for D, and 65 for C.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Honors

Mmm it depends on the university. At UNSW, the new Honours model will involve:

First Class Honours: Students whose WAM places them in the top 10% of their year group. (Official records indicate ~80 WAM required.)
Second Class Honours: Students whose WAM places them in the next 15% of their year group. (Official records indicate ~75 WAM required.)

Plus either:

(a) Three x 3,000 word law research essays which have been completed over one's time at law school with a grade of at least Credit for each essay;

-- or --

(b) Completion of the 8 UoC Research Thesis subject.

However, I am not sure whether they have agreed on dual divisions for Second Class Honours. (That is, whether they are introducing a third bracket of the next 15% ranked students -- of which a WAM ~70 would be required.) I hope they don't because it sort of demeans the system.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
I still cannot comprehend how 10% of people could have a Law WAM of over 80 for their entire law degree. Seems like an awful lot (least 40 if u count that 400 in a grade approx.)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i agree with m@cd@ddy... considering only about 5% get HDs per subject - i cannot say how 10% of people can get 80+ consistently.

i spoke to the law office yesterday and, from their mouth, no honours news has yet been released.

L

LaraB

Ditto to the 2 posts above...

UWS's honours is -

Honours I = GPA of 6 overall in your law course AND GPA of 6 in all core units (i.e. if you have a GPA of 6 overall but only got P's for most your core units, you don't quailfy)

Honours II.I = GPA of 5.8

Honours II.II = GPA of 5.75? i think? not 100% sure about this one...

6 = Distinction, 5 - Credit... so basically you need to be a high end credit at the least.

It's a marks based, not research based honours system.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
M@C D@DDY said:
I still cannot comprehend how 10% of people could have a Law WAM of over 80 for their entire law degree. Seems like an awful lot (least 40 if u count that 400 in a grade approx.)
Frigid said:
i agree with m@cd@ddy... considering only about 5% get HDs per subject - i cannot say how 10% of people can get 80+ consistently.
Whilst only ~5% may get HDs in each law subject, this obviously does not include those who get from 80-84, marks which would contribute to shaping an 80+ WAM.
Frigid said:
i spoke to the law office yesterday and, from their mouth, no honours news has yet been released.
That's correct -- and until there is an official announcement by the faculty, no-one should take anything said about Honours as gospel.

I have been in contact with several of the student reps on the faculty board and the implementation of Honours has been agreed upon. As I understand it, the model I mentioned previously has all but been stamped, but there are some matters to clear up such as which graduates it will apply to for this year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)