• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

History Extension (1 Viewer)

Ryan_T90

HSC
Hi,

Is History Extension only offered in Year 12?

I ask this question because I was speaking to my Modern teacher today about how I'd like to do it, because I always thought you had to complete Preliminary Ancient or Modern to enter History Extension for Year 12.

Then she said it wasn't possible to enter it because we're already a Term into the school year, yet I am in Year 11.
I had always thought it was only a Year 12, 1 unit course.

The only reason I am confused about it is because my school hasn't offered History Extension for many years and they have not spoken about it.
If it is Year 12 entry, then obviously, I am going to be begging the school too offer it, because I am not the only one interested.

Hope that made sense :)

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
You are correct, there is no preliminary History Extension course; thus the course starts at the commencement of year 12 (so, Term 4 of year 11). The only pre-requisite of this is to either have studied Ancient or Modern History in year 11.

If I was you, I would either contact the Head Teacher of History at your school and get things cleared up. Because, YOU ARE ENTITLED to enter History Extension when year 12 starts. IF this issue persist, see if there's another member of staff in either History / English that might have some sort of an idea, and discuss it with them.

It might be that your school doesn't offer it completely, due to lacking staffing qualifications. The only way I got my school to run a class was by bribery and a lot of begging! Umm, if this issue persists you can try to complete the course by distance. There's a website for the distance courses, I'll go look for it and then include the link in this thread.

EDIT: Here's that link (it's only to a particular institution, but there's quite a few out there): http://www.sydneyh-d.schools.nsw.ed...-extension-1u&catid=79-hsc-courses&Itemid=106

History Extension is a fantastic course, and I really hope you are able to sort out these issues with your school. It's a great opportunity with fantastic content and a brilliant free-range Major Work. n_n

Last edited:

Ryan_T90

HSC
Thank you so much :)

I will be speaking to the Head Teacher of History when I next see her. I will also see my Ancient History teacher who, according to my Modern teacher, would teach Ext. History if it were to be offered.

The only reason I can the reason as to why my school doesn't offer it is because of the lack of students who would be interested in it. Also, mainly due to the fact that not many students enter Ancient or Modern History in their Senior years. At the moment, my Ancient class has about 6 students and Modern has about 24, which is expected to drop, yes, even for Ancient.
Though, I have spoken to a few people who would be sure to enter Extension History, so there should be no reason for my school not to offer it.

This is what I get for attending a school not even ranked in the Top 500 *facepalm*

Last edited:

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Yeah, do speak to your Ancient Teacher and the Head Teacher. Cause really, you are entitled for it to be offered. Wow, that is a teeny tiny Ancient Cohort (must be a lovely class!) If there's a teacher that's qualified to teach it, then generally the school will offer. Then again, it's still early in the year; my school didn't even mention is until the end of Term 2 to see if there was any interest. And at that point, it was just me so.

Good Luck with it! I do hope all goes well, cause it's a fantastic course!

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
lol 3 ancient classes? big deal. we have 3 ancient/modern classes every year
You have to remember the size of the cohort between school fluctuates, LoveHateSchool's school might only be a small school in comparison to you. My school only has about 150~ students in year 12, and we have 1 class of Each History. In Ancient there's 21, Modern there's about 26 and for History Extension it's just 1. :)

Ryan_T90

HSC
You have to remember the size of the cohort between school fluctuates, LoveHateSchool's school might only be a small school in comparison to you. My school only has about 150~ students in year 12, and we have 1 class of Each History. In Ancient there's 21, Modern there's about 26 and for History Extension it's just 1. :)
My year group has 220, yet only about 30 students all up in our year group do History, haha, it is so messed up.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely talked to the head teacher! I might do History Extension too.

History is so popular at my school! There's two full classes of both. (In fact, one class is actually overfull!) It always has been very popular, once there's was three ancient classes!

zxreth

HSC

History is so popular at my school! There's two full classes of both. (In fact, one class is actually overfull!) It always has been very popular, once there's was three ancient classes!

zxreth

HSC

zxreth

HSC
considering most people get E3, pretty good i'd say

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Schools don't have to offer Extension History just because it offers Ancient and/or Modern. The main reason why schools don't offer it is that they don't have the teaching hours available. Each teacher has a maximum number of periods they can teach each week and the school has to staff all the classes. If it can't accommodate the 2 hours for Extension History then the school can't offer it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)