• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hey y'all I was wondering if I am overdoing it for my depth study? (1 Viewer)

Whyhellothere:)

HSC
Hey, so basically my depth study is going up to 20-22 pages the topic is (The aim I wrote) 'To investigate the momentum and kinetic energy conserved within a simple system collision.', and I wrote 2 pages worth of background research my hypothesis is like 200 words and I felt kinda invested in the background of momentum and energy so should I cut something down or is 20-22 pages alright for a depth study (ps there is no word limit)? Any advice is much appreciated!! :D also quick note I believe 2 pages are of the graphs (we had 10 scenarios)

wizzkids

HSC
Suggestion: fix the grammar in your aim. The verb doesn't make any sense.
20 pages is too much for a Year 11 depth study.
If your hypothesis is 200 words, that is ridiculous. Your hypothesis should be no more that 2 sentences, so 30 words.

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
Hey, so basically my depth study is going up to 20-22 pages the topic is (The aim I wrote) 'To investigate the momentum and kinetic energy conserved within a simple system collision.', and I wrote 2 pages worth of background research my hypothesis is like 200 words and I felt kinda invested in the background of momentum and energy so should I cut something down or is 20-22 pages alright for a depth study (ps there is no word limit)? Any advice is much appreciated!! :D also quick note I believe 2 pages are of the graphs (we had 10 scenarios)
your teacher will hate you

liamkk112

HSC
um well definetly cut down on your hypothesis - it really should summarise your prediction in a sentence, two sentences at most. an example hypothesis (that is fairly clear) could be "the kinetic energy and momentum of a simple system are both conserved in elastic collisions." immediately your prediction is clear and the hypothesis is easily testable. whereas if you wrote "in a simple system, momentum and kinetic energy are conserved in an elastic collision, so kinetic energy is not converted into any other forms of energy" then well the hypothesis is correct. but the extra detail is unnecessary and should have already been addressed in the background research, which i'm guessing is the reason why your hypothesis is extra long. really your hypothesis should just be another version of your aim - you literally hypothesise which outcome you expect from an experiment thats testing your aim. so ideally this is just a "rewording" of the aim that clearly says what you expect to occur and shouldn't be convoluted at all.

the rest of it is fine, just make sure you don't repeat yourself and what you are saying is succinct/necessary. don't skimp any unnecessary details though, i still remember my physics teacher saying how no one wrote how they assumed the density of water in their depth study. but also no need to explain like newton's 3rd law or something, definetly explaining momentum and energy based concepts are good here tho. ultimately even if u mess up a bit just make sure u know how to write depth studies to ur teacher's style in year 12 by using the feedback they give u in year 11, i always looked back at my year 11 one to see what they liked/didn't like

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)