• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Helpme (1 Viewer)

varus

hay does anyone have some sort of summary or info on Cuba in relation to the cold war?...im seriously screwed...our teacher gave us an assessment over the hols (a 30 mark essay for cold war + sum other stuff) and we haven't even started Leni (Germany, 2nd topic) plzzz sum1 help meeee anything will be greatly appreciated

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Since 1952, Cuba has been ruled by an authoritarian Bastista. The US has no trouble with him and the US provided monetary aid and Cuba provided them with sugar.

In January 1959 he was overthrown by Fidel Castro, a communist. The USA cut off all aid and stopped buying Cuban sugar, a move that could bankrupt Cuba. The Soviet Union stepped in and provided economic/military assistance.

April 1961, CIA-backed Cuban rebels attacked Cuba in an attempt to remove Castro from power. The Bay of Pigs attack failed, many rebels were captured and/or killed. US President JFK's reputation suffered over the BOP failure, even though he was never keen on the idea in the first place.

Aug/Sep 1962 Soviet Union land missiles/technicians/bombers in Cuba and 14th Oct US flight over reveals missle installations.

Naval blockade was placed around Cuba, ICBMs placed in readiness & submarines put to see. Khrushchev denouces US action and says Soviets will not back down. (By this time JFK has already been aired on US TV to inform people of the impending crisis).

26th Oct Khrushchev sends JFK a letter offering him a way out of the crisis.

27th Oct A second, more abrasive letter arrives.

28 Oct Robert Kennedy advises his brother to ignore second letter and reply to first. US promises not to invade Cuba again if the missiles/Soviet bombers were removed. Crisis was over.

Summary: In relation to the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis is important because it is the closest that world ever came to seeing a nuclear war.

Khrushchev's esteem rose in the West, but fell in his country. He was overthrown in 1964.

The US belief in containment was reinforced and relations improved from 1963 onwards with the Partial Test Ban Treaty signed in 1963, Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty signed in 1968 and the beginning of the Detente period in 1969.

If you need anything else, just PM me.

varus

thanku soooo much!!...i'm going to attempt the damn thing soon so i'll probably have more questions. thanku for your help i really appreciate it :)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Haha, I can't believe I actually sat here and wrote that. But it's cool :D

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
Anyone know of any resources on Korea??! Same assesement :)
June 1950 Northern (Nthn) Korean troops invade Southern (Sthn) Korea by crossing the 38th parallel. They succeed in pushing Sthn troops towards the tip in the South.

USA proposes collective UN action to protect South. Proposal accepted & General Douglas Macarthur was put in charge of UN troops.

Sep 1950 Macarthur's brilliance forces Communists back and Seoul is recaptured.

Oct 1950 Nthn troops forced back over the 38th parallel.

Dec 1950 China fears invasion so it sends 33 divisions across the borders to support Nthn Korea.

April 1951 Macarthur lobbies for broadening of war arms, proposes major action against China, including the use of bombers. Truman (US pres) fears widening of conflict which may involve the USSR.

1951-52 War becomes bogged down and stalemate continues.

Dec 1952 President Eisenhower flies to Korea in attempt to resolve the issue.

July 1953 Truce is signed at Panmunjon. New truce line almost identical to 1950 border.

Results of Korean War
- Korea remained divided at the 38th parallel.
- Sino/US relations were not improved.
- US alliance network extended with Greece & Turkey being admitted into NATO.
- ANZUS alliance formed (Australia, NZ & USA).
- Us defence expenditure increased rapidly, including development of the hydrogen bomb.

I hope this helps.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Oh and both of those were from:

Get Smart: Modern History
Ken Webb
Science Press 2002

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)