• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

starlitwonder

HSC
Somebody, please help! I need ideas for a crime fiction story, as many ideas as you can come up with. I'm a fairly good writer, I just SUCK at coming up with original ideas. PLEASE HELP my half yearly is on Friday!

Randomandy

HSC
I'd be glad to help. Any more details on what sort of thing you'd like? I practically wrote my friend's crime fiction on a member of some cat society being murdered. I really should've done extinglish myself. Oh well, if you can tell us what sort of things you want, and the criteria for the task, we'll all pitch in, I'm sure.

starlitwonder

HSC
Umm, okay the criteria for the task is
- Understands and encorporates one of the scenarios presented in the question with considerable flair
- Recognises and responds in the style of the crime fiction genre
- Writes an extended response in the nominated text type
- Writes creatively and imaginatively
- Maintains the interest of the reader throughout the piece
- Uses language with great effect to create a crime fiction response

Any ideas, I don't care! Thankyou sooooooooooooo much!

Randomandy

HSC
Well, the style of the piece is important. Most of what you want is the presentation. I've done a few crime fiction pieces for exams, and I didn't even have time/room for the plot. So, basically, you need to work the delivery of it.

Develop a character - use clichés, if you like, or maybe some irony to parody the usual stereotypes. Creating an original character is probably too much at this late stage, so you'll want to follow the traditional structure. Tough name, such as Dexter Colt, Ruger Steele, Max Winchester..something like that - guns are good to use.

Usually, the setting is dark, noir-ish, with cigarette butts and half-empty whisky bottles, a poor detective sits at his desk, usually reading a newspaper and waits for a case, while he monologues/narrates in a dark and sardonic manner.

You may want to go with the traditional "dame sidles into the room" and asks the detective to solve her case, paying him a large amount of money, which he accepts out of sexual attraction and desparation for money/a case.

Two texts I would've advised you studying, if it wasn't so late, are "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaidt" (Steve Martin detective satire, very clever) and "Dirk Gently's Hollistic Detective Agency" (Douglas Adams' clever novel)

In any case, you'll want some heavy narration from the detective, and may like to throw in an interesting quirk or metaphor, if you can. I suggested to a friend that he has a visual impairment where he became colourblind from an accident, early in his career, which is a metaphor for his portrayal of justice (seeing things in black and white).

Anyway, start off with the run-down, feculent office and have someone approach him with a case, unless you'd like to stray from the original, and perhaps have him take a walk, or even start off with some action - driving off a cliff, shootouts, fist fights, drunken arguements - it's all good.

Eventually you'll want some intrigue into the plot, with twists, turns and suspects, but that may not even surface if you don't have time. Just make sure you have some snazzy presentation and your plot (especially if it is weak) won't matter as much. Though that's not to discredit the importance of a storyline, either. They'll want both.

Add humour if you can, as markers usually like that, unless you're going for a more hardboiled/gritty approach. Wikipedia also has some articles on detective fiction/noir, which may come in handy. If you get stuck, just give me a yell and I'll try to help you more.

Good luck,
Random Andy

starlitwonder

HSC
randomandy, you're an absolute doll. how can i thank you, you've probably just saved my grades!

Randomandy

HSC
Haha, you're very welcome. Perhaps you can post the story on the board/resources page to help others who'll do this in years to come, or those who want a thrilling crime fiction story to read. I wouldn't mind taking a glance at it once you're done, if you'd like some constructive criticism. You can talk to me on MSN, if you want some more advice or help with the story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)