• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with subjects please (2 Viewers)

HSC
leoyh said:
generals a waste of time and effort.
what time...? what effort...?

i spend the majority of the lessons bludging. i barely listen. i could go to none of the lessons, spend a few hours before each assessment revising, and ace it. it boosts my confidence:uhhuh:

ccc123

HSC
cs01001 said:
Contray to what most people think, General ain't easy.
QFT. It's not 'hard', but i just find some of what we do strange and mentally tedious. It's almost like its not really maths anymore, but some weird subject with some calculations. I think the mistake people make as well is they think its like an easier version of mathematics, when its like a completely difefrent subject.

Muz4PM

HSC
ccc123 said:
QFT. It's not 'hard', but i just find some of what we do strange and mentally tedious. It's almost like its not really maths anymore, but some weird subject with some calculations. I think the mistake people make as well is they think its like an easier version of mathematics, when its like a completely difefrent subject.
QUESTION: Isn't general maths like revision of Year 7-10? Or do you get taught different concepts as well?

I heard the general was like Year 7-10 all over again?????:confused:

patty4848

HSC
leoyh said:
generals a waste of time and effort. it scales hopelessly too. someone who did general would be better off not doing maths altogether and picking a more challenging 2u subject like economics.
Scales hopelessly - Sometimes...
Our maths teachers (who mark hsc) have told us over and over that general maths will scale hopelessly if we cannot get into the top percentile of the state. If you get 70 in general maths, then yes, scaling will be quite bad. However if you can get above 90, then scaling will not even affect you, and if you get 95+, then you scale UP.
Big big misconception about general maths.
And also, if you get 100, then you get 100 - no scaling whatsoever.

And btw, maths is often a prerequisite, and in qld unis, general maths counts as assumed knowledge when maths is needed. Have you ever heard of a course that requires economics as a pre-requisite.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Muz4PM said:
QUESTION: Isn't general maths like revision of Year 7-10? Or do you get taught different concepts as well?

Wrong.

I would say half the course is years 9-10 with added steps, ie Trig + non right angled trig.

and half the course is new. The harder stuff in General, would be equal to the easier stuff in 2u.
Eg when 2u begins probability, the course actually overlaps a little.

Muz4PM

HSC
risole91 said:
Wrong.

I would say half the course is years 9-10 with added steps, ie Trig + non right angled trig.

and half the course is new. The harder stuff in General, would be equal to the easier stuff in 2u.
Eg when 2u begins probability, the course actually overlaps a little.
Ah I see, thank you.

ccc123

HSC
Muz4PM said:

It is at the beginning, and yep, some of the topics e.g algebra, are revision of yr 9-10. However, there are topics completely new that would be foreign to 2u people.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Muz4PM said:
Ah I see, thank you.
Yeah, so people who say its easy are technically right.

Eg. If you sat the test now, you would get say 70%, but if you learnt the course, nothing would confuse you and you would easily get 90+

ccc123

HSC
risole91 said:
Yeah, so people who say its easy are technically right.

Eg. If you sat the test now, you would get say 70%, but if you learnt the course, nothing would confuse you and you would easily get 90+
Yeah exactly. Its not hard per se, its just that 2u people expect to come down and ace it straght away when they haven't learnt the course.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
patty4848 said:
wrong!
general maths is capped. I can't remember exactly.
But the highest you can get is like a couple of SDs above the mean.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
cs01001 said:
Contray to what most people think, General ain't easy.
not easy for a lot of general students.
But this is a comparison b/w general & 2 unit maths.
so compared to 2u, it's damn easy...

general is a different type of maths though.
no complex concepts. It's RL maths.
like financial maths and stuff like that.

cs01001

HSC
You're kinda right in a sense, lol RL maths. :p

But either way, I just wanna point out that unless you're an all rounded maths student (ie you know maths from top to bottom/left to right), you will not get a great mark sitting the General paper without any preparation/revision at all thinking (Hahha, I am ex 2U, this is easy shit!)

You get the drift. :p

patty4848

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
wrong!
general maths is capped. I can't remember exactly.
But the highest you can get is like a couple of SDs above the mean.
Not what we've been told.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
patty4848 said:
Not what we've been told.
Yeah its capped at like 99.85.

The highest UAI you can get with GM is about 99.85.
ive read that somewhere.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
risole91 said:
Yeah its capped at like 99.85.

The highest UAI you can get with GM is about 99.85.
ive read that somewhere.
Changed my subjects with GM and added engineering studies.

98 for every subject get me 100.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
tommykins said:
Changed my subjects with GM and added engineering studies.

98 for every subject get me 100.
Ahh sorry man.

What i ment to say was 99.85 is the highest anyone has gotton doing general maths in the past.

my mistake.

But thanks for that, now we knows it possible to get 100.:)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
patty4848 said:
Scales hopelessly - Sometimes...
Our maths teachers (who mark hsc) have told us over and over that general maths will scale hopelessly if we cannot get into the top percentile of the state. If you get 70 in general maths, then yes, scaling will be quite bad. However if you can get above 90, then scaling will not even affect you, and if you get 95+, then you scale UP.
Big big misconception about general maths.

And btw, maths is often a prerequisite, and in qld unis, general maths counts as assumed knowledge when maths is needed. Have you ever heard of a course that requires economics as a pre-requisite.
maths is a prerequiste = mathematics i.e. 2unit maths

general maths is never a prerequiste for any course cause its almost like general knowledge, everyone should have it and be able to deal with such a level of maths. its always 2u maths thats a prerequiste. im not saying that economics is a prerequiste, but you're better off doing economics as a 2u subject where you'll be able to boost your uai as opposed to doing general maths

btw, its quite hard to get in the 90s for general cause it caps early.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
risole91 said:
Ahh sorry man.

What i ment to say was 99.85 is the highest anyone has gotton doing general maths in the past.

my mistake.

But thanks for that, now we knows it possible to get 100.:)
Ahh, thanks for clarifying :)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
leoyh said:
generals a waste of time and effort. it scales hopelessly too. someone who did general would be better off not doing maths altogether and picking a more challenging 2u subject like economics.
My brother dropped down from advanced to general in year 12 two years ago. He was getting an average of about 30% in advanced and ended up getting 94 in standard. Even though it doesnt scale too well, 94 in general is a lot better than anything he couldve got in advanced.

As long as you are willing to put in the effort to catch up, you should be fine in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)