• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help with subject choices! (1 Viewer)

Melissa2397

HSC
Hopefully someone can help me,

I'm currently in year 11 and studying the following subjects:
Maths 2U (ranked 6/80)
Maths 3U (ranked 10/35)
English Adv (ranked within top 15/84)
Economics (ranked 8/15)
Chemistry (roughly ranked in the middle)
French Continuers (roughly ranked in the middle)
SOR 1 (compulsory because i go to a catholic school) (15/27)

I'm thinking of picking up 4U maths however it would mean I would need to drop one of my 2U subjects. I'm not liking french and haven't been working at it very hard all year however I've been getting ok marks, the girls in my class are fantastic and my school does well in languages every year.My friends have suggested I drop economics but I seem to be enjoying it and I want to keep Chemistry to keep my options open at uni.

Does French scale better than economics? Does Maths 4U help with scaling? Or should I just leave my subjects the way they are? I'm confused on what will benefit me the most :S
(p.s. Sorry for the ramble)

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
To my knowledge, Economics scales better than french. As 4U is usually the highest scaling subject, it can increase your ATAR exponentially depending on how well you do in it. However, you shouldnt base your choice on scaling. Doing poorly in 4 unit wont help your ATAR at all. Also, if you dont like French and you arent putting in the effort than it isnt worth doing.

Last edited:
HSC
If I were you I'd drop French. If you don't like it than once HSC comes around your not going to want to study it and put as much effort into it as other subjects. If you like maths more ur more likely to be motivated to study it and do better.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
In 2010, I think French continuers scaled a bit higher than Economics.

funnytomato

HSC
Hopefully someone can help me,

I'm currently in year 11 and studying the following subjects:
Maths 2U (ranked 6/80)
Maths 3U (ranked 10/35)
English Adv (ranked within top 15/84)
Economics (ranked 8/15)
Chemistry (roughly ranked in the middle)
French Continuers (roughly ranked in the middle)
SOR 1 (compulsory because i go to a catholic school) (15/27)

I'm thinking of picking up 4U maths however it would mean I would need to drop one of my 2U subjects. I'm not liking french and haven't been working at it very hard all year however I've been getting ok marks, the girls in my class are fantastic and my school does well in languages every year.My friends have suggested I drop economics but I seem to be enjoying it and I want to keep Chemistry to keep my options open at uni.

Does French scale better than economics? Does Maths 4U help with scaling? Or should I just leave my subjects the way they are? I'm confused on what will benefit me the most :S
(p.s. Sorry for the ramble)
continuers languages have reallly good scaling, and french CONTINUERS does scale better than economics.

doing 3u maths= 2 units of "advanced maths" and 1 unit of MX1
doing 4u maths= 2 units of MX1 and 2 units of MX2-------------->doing 4u gives you more units of better scaling subjects
and MX1 and MX2 are THE best scaling "mainstream" subjects

having said these, you must also consider what you actually like and what might more relevant to your further studies/work

enoilgam

HSC
Looks like I was wrong on the scaling of French. I always thought language continuers scaled average.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^ohhh, no Continuers always scale well however, Economics has the spiffiest scaling of a humanity, Economics has very good scaling.

To OP, if you don't like French, drop it and if you want to pick up 4u maths do that. If you're doing better in Economics keep that over French.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't see why you "have" to drop one of your subjects?

From what you've given - you might as well drop French because you don't like it. Simple. No scaling arguments, or any of that. You don't like it? Drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)