• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help!(with crime fiction) (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Hey guys! I'm having problems with regards to possible creative qs 4 this yrs hsc. I just don't understand how it is possible for anyone in the state to get full marks(or close to) in the creative task if its a question based on our set text that we've never seen before. My Adv english teacher told me that if u make up a creative response in the exam room its VERY hard to get over a band 4. Its kinda frustrating cause I've prepared top range analytical and creative pieces but if they ask a set text creat9ive q i think I'll b stuffed. I've done the 2001 and 2003 creatives as practice but they obviously wont ask the same q again. Has anyone got trial hscs from their schools I could use as practice? I need some advice on how to tackle this thing!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
The important thing is to know the conventions of your given genre intimately and to know your texts well and these are the same skills you employ in your essay question so it shouldn't be too difficult to pull off. The best practice for these type of questions is just to write short situations with some of the main characters from each set text. Also, if it is any consolation, my teacher last year commented that the difficulty of the 2001 question was almost anomalous in its difficulty and she doubted we (or future students) would receive something that specific.

dandel26

HSC
in my practise story, i address the conventions by subverting them, its sooooooo much easier than writting a generic conventional story

hannahxxx

HSC
yeah thaks kami- looking at it analytically is heaps easier. I think it was the prospect of creating a creative piece in the exam room(without generic knowledge or a good understanding of my texts) that really worried me. 4 all our sakes regardless I hope they do a straight creative q this yr.

ellejay145

HSC
I know what you mean, and that's a tough one. Esp for me, as i am only studying in depth The Real Inspector Hound and The Big Sleep as set texts. So if they sprung a question relating to the Skull Beneath The Skin i would be a little stuffed, cos it is not one of the set texts i chose to study in depth (it annoys me). Dude, 2001 ... ekkkk ... for us in class every Thursday morning lesson was our practice essay/creative lesson, and we would do past hsc papers. I remember that one, i hated it because to write well i think you needed to be able to be comical, and lets face it, i suck at that. Thats why i dont subvert the genre conventions in my creative pieces, i try to write within the conventions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)