• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help need!! (1 Viewer)

Dani 88

HSC
Well, i just joined about 5 minutes ago and i have been reading everyones threads and replys and i am a bit worried.

I have yr12 half yearly exams in one week friday, and i have to write an essay on imgainative journeys. My core text is The Tempest, and my related texts are Imagine by John Lennon and Finding Neverland the movie (but a few of you have stated not to do Imagine... but im desperate).

If anyone can give me advice on what to do, or any information regarding these texts, it would be great.

Thanxs...

Ps My english teacher ain't helping me much. So thats why im stressing to the max about what to write about.

Shady01

Currently: Destrying liver with celabatory "bevera
HSC
make sure tempest is key text rite about how it relates to imaginative jounrey, technqiues used etc(lernt in class hopefully) then link it in with yr sub-texts.

if i was to put it into essay form this is what i would do (prob shit compared to others lol)

INTRO- broad! i said broad description of what u believe img jounrey to be, introduce texts, etc etc

Body- talk about tempest relating to img jounrey, link with sub texts foucus on techiniques of how the texts r put across etc, etc

Conclusion- sum the power of img jounreyes and how good they r ah blh blah blah.

For extra marks i try to link my img jounries to inner as well. cause most u hav a self-relasiation in. that normally wins som extra marks but dont go overboad about inner focus on img, just show u understand concepts etc

Loz Dt

HSC
ok, dont stress, i know how u feel lol.it sounds like u are in pretty much the same boat as me- doing the tempest for imaginative journeys. and yes, i have been told many many times that the song "imagine" isnt recommended to use- think of how many other people in the state would be using it as related material(around 8 people in my class alone want to use it). unless u can write an essay using it that stands out from the rest, maybe u should find another piece. i was told to scrap both of my pieces of related material, so have to find two more before the half yearlies which are very soon! i have spoken to a few teachers and some of them have suggested the Odyssey, by Homer, as it ties back to the tempest really well with all of the imaginative elements. maybe look at doing something along the lines of that??? i dont really know if this has at all helped u, but there are also related material suggestions on this site- i dont exactly know where, but they are around somewhere- i remember seeing them last year. try talking to past hsc students and get ideas from them. im sure there are many people who can help u. at least I feel a bit better now, knowing that i am not the only one with problems for related material! u will be ok dont woorry too much. half yearlies arent worth alot anyway, i know mines not worth anything in the assessment schedule...

Dani 88

HSC
Hey thanks heaps for the reply. still not 100% sure what to do bout related texts cause teacher is hopeless. I have exam one week today and i still feel heaps under prepared about writing about the tempest let alone related texts. Im think of just doing imagine, see how i go and if i go crap then change it before trials and work on it through the year to make it better.
Thanks again... if u need any help with other things i will try

Loz Dt

HSC
hey guess wat i just found! go to 'The Tempest by William Shakespeare
Frequently Asked Questions' thread. heaps of info and help for u! and me! lol. good luck

danilion_22

HSC
Re: Help need!!-i hope this helps you

My teacher was analysing imagine for us. this is what she said:

the title -IMAGINE: imperitive directive respondent to ponder with the composer.
-conversasional tone
-tempo (if you have the knowledge add some musical concepts since this is a song)- slow pace (adagio)to reveal the reflection of the mood of the song.
-seperate the song into verse 1, verse 2, verse 3 and chorus.
-rhyme and rythim- gives uis the lyrical quality.
-repetitve of the word 'no'- negative emphasises the way to think about spiritual beliefs.
-commas- pauses make us think and consider what the composre's suggesting.
-"above us is only sky"- rid of spiritual world like heaven.
-"imagine all the people living for today"- existentialismathiest/agnostic.
- "imagine"- encouragement.
-"living life"- alliteration
-"no countries"- no participation , no boundaries leads to freedom- patriotism.
-"nothing to kill or die for"- no world wars
-"no possessions"- symbolic of comercial world, capitalism no jealousy or superiorrity.
-"you must say im a dreamer"- direct- 2nd person
-"i hope someday you'll join us and the owrold will live as one"- happy together, symbolises his utopian society.

Lennon is speculating on a utopian world. he inspires and challenges the responder is respect to the context of the times he was part of a protest between the vietnam war and cold war.

i hope this helps you! im just wondering would you how would set out your essay for the half yearlys including the tempest, 2 BOS texts and 1 related text. im confused about the paragraph structure and what to include in each paragraph. thanx my email danilion_22@yahoo.com.au

Dani 88

HSC
Re: Help need!!-i hope this helps you

Hey Thanks for the information its great. still not sure how to set it out, but i will get there, the only thing worried about is so much info not enough time

tanwlvanessa

HSC
haha im doin the same text. if u have gained any help. could u help me :)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)