• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help - I Need Help With My Preferences (1 Viewer)

Nerd Queen

"Oh God, I could be bounded in a nut-shell, and co
HSC
Hey Guys!

I Am Desperate For Sum Help And Do Not Know Where To Turn To!

I Have Many Many Many Seemingly Random Questions About Uni! If Any One Could Answer Even One Of Them It Would Make My Day (it Would Make My Life Actually!)

Anyway Here Goes.

1. When I Put My Prefences Down, Do I Just Put B Arts And Specify My Major After/if I Get In? Or Do I Need To Specify It At The Time I Put It Down?

2. If I Want To Apply For A Deferal, Do I Need To Be In Australia At The Time Or Can I Do It From Overseas (i Am Planning To Travel)

3. I Picked My Hsc Subjects Based On What I Thought I Wanted To Do! What If This Doesn't Appeal To Me Anymore? How Important Are The "assumed Knowledge" And "reccomended Knowledge" Subjects? Is It Possible For Me To Do A Course That Has "assumed Knowledge" Subjects That I Did Not Do - Ie Chemistry?

4. I Read About Bridging Courses Which Can Help Overcome This. Are They Available In Every Subject?

Thats Pretty Much All I Can Think Of Now

5. (except This) How Does A B Science Work? Is It Similar To B Arts, In That You Pick Majors Etc...?

6. What Can You Do With B Science?

7. Not So Much A Question As An Opinion ... We So Should Have Been Much More Informed On All This B4 We Picked Our Hsc Courses. My Dep. Principal Told Me Subjects U Picked Did Not Matter At All In Uni...then I Find Out About This Assumed Knowledge Krap

Also ... I Am Doing Better @ School Then I Thought I Would Have And My Chosen Career Began Sounding Boring To Me So I Wanted To See What Else I Can Do With My Life And Now I Am In A Hole And I Cant Go Anywhere!

Seriously How Important Is Assumed/recommended Knowledge? Can I Get By Without Them? Has Anyone Tried?

Ps- Sorry For My Crapping On I Ramble On And On And On When I Am Nervous! (that Should Be A Clue As To How I Am Feeling!)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
1. You specify your major when you enrol. UAC does not care about that, only the course.

2. You can probably sign to authorise someone to complete the paperwork on your behalf. You probably can't do it electronically if that's what you're asking.

3. You can, provided it's not a prerequisite.

4. Only sciences and maths to my knowledge.

5. Yes, you pick majors etc. Apart from that I don't really know how to answer to how does a BSc work.

6. There's at least another thread on this. Do a search.

You can get away without doing the assumed knowledge. I know people doing chem at uni without having done HSC chem. Although that really depend on your ability.

On another note, can you not type with capitalised words? It makes reading it more difficult.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
8. Capitalising Every Word Is Often Annoying And Incredibly Difficult To Read.

Nerd Queen

HSC
Thanx guys

k i wount capitilise every word! sorry bout that

wow u guys really cleared up a lot of things for me. Thanx for the advice. just one more question. is it hard to get a deferal?

i mean what do they consider a good excuse? is travelling considered a good excuse? what about if my deferal doesnt get approved? can i reapply the next year with the same uai and hsc result thingies?

Nerd Queen

HSC
sorry one more thing - you know the thing about flexibility and changing courses...I've had some ppl talk to me about this but still not sure... i know that you have to be doing well in your chosen subjects and stuff for them to alow you to change ... but... can u change courses that are totally unrelated or do they have to be related somehow?

for example lets pretend i am doing a B art in english, can i only change to another B arts course or can it be a totally unrelated field eg- ummm...i dunno, medicine, or astrophysoligy or law or i dunno wrestling :)

hehehe

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Deferal depends on the uni. Check with the uni you are applying for. Not sure what happens if it doesn't get approved.

Provided you have the marks necessary and the course you want to transfer to allows NRSL, yes, you can transfer to that course. Whether you have to start again from first year is another matter. If the two courses are different, then most likely yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)