• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP creative writing pieces (1 Viewer)

mz del piero

hey,
i am really stressing over the creative writing component in HSC for the AoS. i dont know what to do and i have no descent ideas to go and practice with.
Does anyone have any examples of creative writing pieces for journey or anything of the sor....i need inspiration!!!!!!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
the creative writng piece cant really be pre-written because they give you the question in the exam. you cant really study for it in other words. Past HSC papers have based their creative writing task on one of the texts given in the exam.
Creative writing piece.
This was the question for our core homework task, which was taken out of macquarie revision guide :) :
Homecoming is often the end of the journey
The journey is more important than the destination

Lundy

Banned
HSC
It can be pre-written. Or at least, pre-thought up. Actually, it's probably best to do this because the markers will be more impressed with a clever, original idea, than with something lame and generic thought up on the spot. Get a story planned out, and then fashion it to fit the question.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Yeah, Lundy is right. You can write up something and try and twist it according to the situation.

I really enjoyed Creative Writing in year 10/11, started hating it during HSC...=\

LOL,...this is my 666th Message. :)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
sometimes a pre-written essay is bad because it makes you focus on regurgitating on what you prepared and you end up ignoring the question. i guess theyre okay to practice with and to do a few, but i wouldnt solely rely on one.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
for creative writing your main aim is to find a conflict in your story

but what teachers look for is descriptive writing....use a lot of similies, metaphors, basically descriptive language!

Kuya

eeek i always have trouble with creative writing... im not very creative...

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
damn i hate creative writing.. i start off really well, then end up killing everyone in the end, coz my story gets too complicated

clerisy

HSC
Should the individual creative writing pieces reflect the specific journey we've studied? Because as much as I try I cannot write a successful imaginative journey.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
No...it should be just be based on the main idea of "Journey". You only need to focus on imaginative Journey only in the last section of the Exam....where you use your set text.

blue_lemonade

Originally posted by Lundy
It can be pre-written. Or at least, pre-thought up. Actually, it's probably best to do this because the markers will be more impressed with a clever, original idea, than with something lame and generic thought up on the spot. Get a story planned out, and then fashion it to fit the question.
i agree with lundy..thats what i did...i had a few ideas as options that revolved around the topic...and chose one that fit the question best. if ur not too confident with creative writing ..its safer to plan it out. You can continually add stuff and improve ur story ideas over the yr and by the time the hsc comes around...u'll feel more at ease when approaching this part of the paper

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
ive always found that the best way if you think you wont be able to cope with not having anything planned is to think up a number of different characters and situations independent of each other. if you do it this way, then you wont get caught out by having designed a story that doesn't fit the question and sounds like its been pre-written and you'll have lots of situations to choose from.
You dont need to focus on just one osrt of journey - do the concept of journeys in general.
oh, and about the 'needing to be original' etc. part, this is what works for me - it was too much trouble to try and think up something completely new and original in terms of storyline in the exam, so i didnt try. instead, i took a very cliched storyline - a doctor having a midlife crisis, and skewed the perspective - i told the entire story form the point of view of the rubber plant in the doctor's office. it made the story seem a very original and creaive piece, when in fact, the basic premise of the story was a veryv common one. try experimenting with something like this.
oh, and one more thing. if u can, try and practice writing in stream of consciousness - if done well, this is always looked on favourably by the markers. however, its not easy, so i wouldnt recomment trying to do it in an exam if you havent practiced before

HSC
silvermoon said:
if u can, try and practice writing in stream of consciousness - if done well, this is always looked on favourably by the markers. however, its not easy, so i wouldnt recomment trying to do it in an exam if you havent practiced before
What do you mean, "writing in a stream of consciousness?" :confused:

clerisy

HSC
my understanding of stream of consciousness is-- in basic terms-- simply writing directly as the characters think. Reflect totally their thinking and feeling and interpretation. The two classics for this technique are Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway and James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
What about through the eyes of a man taking Opium (excessively)

for an imaginative journey??

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Seraph said:
What about through the eyes of a man taking Opium (excessively)

for an imaginative journey??
You can't just copy Coleridge's poems!:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)