• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Heeeeeeellllllpppp!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
I'm doing an assignment on a place called Deir el-Medina and i dont know anything on Morris Bierbrier or who is for the village being an ordinary village.
Heya.
What do you mean by ordinary village? Do you mean un/planned? Or not a workman's village.

Please be specific when you ask questions.

Adolf Erman and TGH James have written a bit about DEM, as has Kemp. Those would be good places to start, but unfortunately you haven't been at all specific in your questions.

I haven't heard of Vandermeer or Scully, so I couldn't comment.

prideoftyrants

vando1988
HSC
sorry

the vandermeer and scully references are by a person i know and is trying to make a joke. hes not funny.
by an ordinary village i mean that maybe it was not a "special" village so to speak but just an ordinary village where anybody had access without any tests to be conducted.

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
the vandermeer and scully references are by a person i know and is trying to make a joke. hes not funny.
by an ordinary village i mean that maybe it was not a "special" village so to speak but just an ordinary village where anybody had access without any tests to be conducted.
I thought so (vandermeer = seinfeld), but I thought I'd not risk it.

From what I am aware, there were no villages with test requirements.

You would live in DEM if 1. You were directly responsible for tomb work there (like artists), 2. Provided secondary industry there (like bakeries), AND 3. Got officially posted there.

There may have not had "tests", but that doesn't mean people would want to live there. It was a shit hole.

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
would you happen to know if there is any historical debates on DEM
It's pretty straight forward.

If you're looking for debate:
  • I'd look at it being called a town vs a workman's village. There's a very unusual debate revolving around the semantics of "village", which encompasses Egyptian words themselves, I'll have to dig up my notes on this particular area. It's very interesting, yet semantical, though,
  • Possibly how valuable it is as a source,
  • How it's been interpreted; social, political, administrative, etc...
  • Whether it's a typical Egyptian village- remembering it's fantastically preserved, "But can we assume many other egyptian villages were like this?",
  • There's a bit of disagreement over it's origins and history,

There could be a few more possibilities....

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
cool and thank you ill look into some stuff.
I'm sorry I couldn't be of specific help. When's your mw due, can I get back to you with some info?

prideoftyrants

vando1988
HSC
its due in 2 to 3 weeks there is no real set date i started writing some basic information down. did 2 annotated bibliographies on John Romer and Pierre Montet but couldnt find a 3rd person to do one on. also i thought i was lost for a while.

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
its due in 2 to 3 weeks there is no real set date i started writing some basic information down. did 2 annotated bibliographies on John Romer and Pierre Montet but couldnt find a 3rd person to do one on. also i thought i was lost for a while.

cool. Plenty of time.

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
hey i tried searching for those authors but i cant find any decent information could you point me to any sites.
*shudder*

I have no idea about websites, sorry. One of the Antiquity books (year 11 one) has a Section of DEM, as do a few other books.

If you're really, really nice, and really, really stuck, I suppose I could scan them, turn them into a pdf file and post them?

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
if youre up for it that would be great if not no problem ill go to the state library (if i can make it) and have a look.
state library sucks for egypt. Go to Macquarie Uni library or something.

Where do you live?

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
lithgow west of katoomba
jesus. That would hav ebeen bad if you went into the State Library.

Guess that means I have to do some scanning

You can't get access to Antiquity 1? That would be the best place to start.

X

xeuyrawp

prideoftyrants said:
ill have a go.
Give us a yell tomorrow when you've had a look.

Edit: Antiquity 1 would be your best bet. I had a look in its bibliography and i have several of the mentioned books, which I can scan.

Antiquity itself is bigger than A4, and would be really difficult to copy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)