• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Having a pre-set belongings response: (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, my teacher continually told our class to not create a pre-set response to the belonging question, because our response may not suit the question. Rather, he suggests we study all of the poems (we are doing skryznecki's poems btw) so that we have a range of options.

But would I be safe preparing an essay for the belonging question as it has to be pretty general for the range of material offered in the belonging module + related material.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but be wary of the fact that they may ask you to write in a different text type (letter to the editor, feature article, speech etc etc)

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Just create paragraphs for each text for 3 ideas. So his cultural alienation from lack of background, connections to people/places, and how understanding can come from identity's.

Just learn these, and then if they ask for a question that swings towards people/places, use your three paragraphs from each text that explore this idea and answer the question.

smartalec

HSC
Just create paragraphs for each text for 3 ideas. So his cultural alienation from lack of background, connections to people/places, and how understanding can come from identity's.

Just learn these, and then if they ask for a question that swings towards people/places, use your three paragraphs from each text that explore this idea and answer the question.
question about what you said about the three ideas...they all interrelate? E.G. connections to place enables understanding and hence, identity to be evident. How can you separate those ideas then?

SpreadTheWord

HSC
question about what you said about the three ideas...they all interrelate? E.G. connections to place enables understanding and hence, identity to be evident. How can you separate those ideas then?
Yeah i believe they do, i also think they tie in with the rubric. They interelate in some respects, but you can seperate them easily. For example, in the Felix Skryznecki poem, there is the idea that the father has a sense of belonging due to the garden (places), which leads to (separate idea) him keeping up with the joneses which suggests his individualism, but highlights that an understanding of oneself (ultimately stemming from the previous idea) can lead to a strong identity.

So what im doing is:

Felix Skryznecki: cultural aleination from lack of background
People and places
understanding can lead to an increased identity

Post Card: cultural aleination from lack of background

They are not worded correctly but they give you an idea. So essentially, just find techniques, and information that support each idea. If you do that then when they ask you a question that relates to one of the ideas, you will have three texts you can base it upon. these are your two prescribed, and one related. (presuming they only ask for one related text that is)

Sorry if my sentences are confusing, im just extremely tired.

Last edited:

smartalec

HSC
when you say for example,
Felix Skryznecki: cultural aleination from lack of background
People and places

is that one paragraph and you are intertwining all of those ideas under one topic sentence? or separate?

pinkiipromise

HSC
N/A
I think most of the questions they ask are fairly similiar. You can pre-set an essay and also remember some few extra quotes you know can be used in several ways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)