• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Has the same essay question ever been asked two years in a row for any subject? (1 Viewer)

13abie

HSC
I ask this because I would rather ignore the essay questions from last year, particularly in modern history and english advanced.

Does anyone know of an instance where they have assessed the same essay question twice in a row?

I find it hard to believe that in a 4 year rotation or whatever they do with the area of study in english that they would ever assess the same thing twice, but for other modules and for history and perhaps economics could this ever occur?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I ask this because I would rather ignore the essay questions from last year, particularly in modern history and english advanced.

Does anyone know of an instance where they have assessed the same essay question twice in a row?

I find it hard to believe that in a 4 year rotation or whatever they do with the area of study in english that they would ever assess the same thing twice, but for other modules and for history and perhaps economics could this ever occur?
Every question is written new each year.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Just articulate some practice responses for last years, it really isn't that difficult. Plus its good practice and I really wouldn't risk 'ignoring' questions because they've already been asked. From what my teacher says (she's a HSC maker btw) English and History exam paper writers work on a three year rotation, this year being the last year for the current writers, so the last two years are especially useful at determining how the current writers compose the questions, and the wording of questions.

Your best bet is just to prepare for as much as you can, like the rest of us. I wouldn't risk ignoring certain sections of the syllabus just because they were asked last year.

enoilgam

HSC
Every question is written new each year.
This, however there is nothing stopping them from asking the same or similar questions again. Last year for modern history, they asked a very similar question in Conflict in Europe to what they asked in the 2007 paper.

rayz93

HSC
Yes, I've noticed few similarities in the modern history papers over the last few years. So yes, I do agree that you shouldn't ignore those questions because most of the times they only change the wording around, add in a different verb and yeah, you get the drift. Answer past questions and the points you use in those could be used in a question that is slightly similar. You only have to tweak them a little to suit the question. Same with english. I've beent through two trial exams so far, and i've used the exact same ideas for both trials and they were different questions. But once you practice, you'll come to understand how to change them to adapt to the question more.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
English and Maths - there are so many possibilities.

Chem and Phys - they'll have to recycle stuff from year to year, usually on a 7 year cycle. However, questions will have different marks. For instance, radioisotopes in one year may be a 3 marker 'explain' question. Another year it may be a 7-8 marker 'assess' question.

mecramarathon

HSC
Yes they recycle questions but structure it differently e.g. change the numbers, change the verbs (assess -> evaluate)

And they also have the quirky habit of throwing a question which many initially think is out of the syllabus i.e. SOR '09

erob

HSC
Uni Grad

Question 11 in SOR1 is always about dispossession.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)