• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (2 Viewers)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
i can;t give a fair judgement either way, so i won't try. but i maintain that having to write extended responses in a science-based subject is not "hiding english in other subjects", unless you are referring to the language itself which we speak in this country. the subject english is about analysing texts - something physics or chem has very little to do with, regardless of how much writing you need to do.
the problem with subjects like physics and chemistry is not "hiding english in other subjects" or having the need to explain and communicate in english, but the orderlessness and insubstantial nature of the physics/chemistry taught.

sounds like most other subjects. in fact i can;t think of one subject that ISNT like that.
that is one of the main problems with the new hsc. it is the same formula with different words.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by ND
That doesn't change the fact that what they're testing in the "sciences" is not science.
Exactly. If someone can prove to me the Westinghouse vs. Edison argument was about physics, not history then, well ... umm ... You get my point.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
not having done physics ill have a blind stab...

...perhaps the arguments are based upon the whole concept of precedence and perhaps to establish some sort of basis, cos one cannot just assume that something exists, this is the way in which they can bring to light the very existence of theories, etc....

</blindstab>

now for the lynching...

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Spin Spin Sugar and truly-in-bliss you are really pissing me off! do u do physics?? because if u did you would see the major change from the mathematical based questions to the now explanation questions!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
Spin Spin Sugar and truly-in-bliss you are really pissing me off! do u do physics?? because if u did you would see the major change from the mathematical based questions to the now explanation questions!
I don't think they're following the entire argument about how there isn't any more physics in the physics course. They're lost in the whole; "Now you have to explain yourself, it's better for the course". Yes, that would be O.K. for the course, using the English language to explain yourself (In fact, I'm pretty sure you had to sit an exam that was WRITTEN IN ENGLISH! Before the new HSC). What we're hung up on is that there is stuff in the course that is blatantly non-scientific.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
okay. thats great. it's also irrelevant.

REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH YOU HAVE TO WRITE, NO ONE IS "HIDING ENGLISH IN OTHER SUBJECTS".

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
He's right. They're hiding history in the sciences.
i'm a she, not a he. and history isnt what this thread is about. and the only "englishy" quality to history is indeed the language that it is relayed in, in our country.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
one who does not have a past, cannot exist in the present...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Exactly. If someone can prove to me the Westinghouse vs. Edison argument was about physics, not history then, well ... umm ... You get my point.
How can you expect to get a good grounding in the science if you don't know the foundations of that science? Its like getting the answer to a question in maths and not caring about the working that got you there.

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
How can you expect to get a good grounding in the science if you don't know the foundations of that science? Its like getting the answer to a question in maths and not caring about the working that got you there.
the worry fact is that u need to state issues such as edison using animals as a experiment to prove such and such was dangerous is ptless when it can be done using advantage/disadvantage pt form

also, in physics, u need to learn the political dilemma between einstein and planck...

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Ms 12
So would you say that people with degrees in adv. science don't have a good grounding in science?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
also, in physics, u need to learn the political dilemma between einstein and planck...
and information on the competition between Westinghouse and Edison... The history is good to know but still

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
you need english to be able to read the maths sums. English is the language we speak. we dont need to speak maths

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE LANGUAGE!!
We live in an english speaknig country ofcourse we need to talk the bloody langauge.. god some ppl are stupid! We're - well I'M talking about the fact that physics (for example) has gone from relying on mathematics and calculations to relating mainly to english and writing tedious essays!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
LoL, this "english vs maths/science" type of debates will always b with the hsc students forever- as long as english is made compulsory. :D
Then the only way to solve it is to stop English from being compulsory ;)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
maths is compuslsory @ our school anyway, as so many people wan to do it they cant run anything else in that line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)