• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Group work (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
Does any elsel have problems with the potential for massive injustices in the case of group work assessments that turning into still exists? I'm a bit riled over the matter at the moment because two friends of mine are going grey in matters of minutes because two members of an assignment have not been replying to emails, phone calls, sms' on the weekend preceding the assignments due date. I appreciate the shouldn't leave it to the last minute arguement but this isn't unrealistic what my friends have done. They had their parts ready for submission a day ago, referenced, proofread, they had expected to then do the merge the different works separately thing today, spend a few hours on it, lovely. Seeing these generally cheerfull, amiable blokes ready to curse me back to the stoneage for making a grim joke is quite upsetting.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
Group work is always a nightmare at uni. I never liked it and I'm pretty sure no one else does either. However if you want to prove your credentials as a team player when getting a job then you should start practising.

Doing the work last minute, some members being obstinate dicks are problems we always come across. The best time I had a group assignment was when I demanded at the time we formed up to exchange numbers, agree on what each person did before leaving, and arranged when we were going to meet up again. I reckon making a time to meet up again in person is a good thing because it holds everyone accountable (the prospect of facing up to people in person does wonders for motivation)

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Doing the work last minute, some members being obstinate dicks are problems we always come across. The best time I had a group assignment was when I demanded at the time we formed up to exchange numbers, agree on what each person did before leaving, and arranged when we were going to meet up again. I reckon making a time to meet up again in person is a good thing because it holds everyone accountable (the prospect of facing up to people in person does wonders for motivation)
In addition to that, i think that its a good idea for lecturers to give out Group Work Contracts as part of the assignment's requirements, because thats a good way of encouraging commitment to those in the group who lack it. It also forces other members to do their work thoroughly, because they know that the lecturer would know who did which part.

asymptotic

HSC
the best thing to do is either:

1) do everything yourself
2) get some pro friends

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
At one of my courses at usyd they were using google docs and glosser for a couple of our uni assignments (it was a trial run). Google docs shows you all the previous revisions, and glosser can see the amount of contribution made by each member and distributes the marks according to participation.

I'm not sure how it worked exactly, but a few of the groups did get their marks skewed (e.g. one person getting say 9/10 and the other getting 6/10 for the same submission).

Of course, this still is only a half-solution. If your partner is a no-show you still have to carry the full burden of the assignment for no extra marks (well, at least they won't be stealing your work right?).

Uncle

Banned
HSC
The lecturer must offer each team member an individual and anonymous evaluation of other team members throughout the assignment.
You can fuck them over that way if they don't do shit.

the best thing to do is either:

1) do everything yourself
2) get some pro friends
Doesn't always work that way, and:

Uni's not like high school bubba

DTFM

HSC
Group work assessments are fantastic. You can do half-assed work and still get good marks if the other people in your group are smart.

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
Group work assessments are fantastic. You can do half-assed work and still get good marks if the other people in your group are smart.
+1 which is why i passed stats 51% --> yes im proud of this result:)

hotdimsim

HSC
we have peer review at the end of each submission, so if someone piss farts around you can go to town on why they shouldnt get the same mark as you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)