• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grade point average (1 Viewer)

Lu Lu

HSC
Hi everyone, I got a scholarship this year and to keep it I must have a GPA of 4.00. What does this mean and how much marks do i need to keep it.

Jacks

HSC
For every unit that you do you get an overall mark of either high distinction, distinction, credit, pass or fail, of this I'm sure you are aware. A GPA is basically a grade point average that is calculated based on your performance over all your subjects. Marks are awarded the following points.

hd=7 d=6 c=5 p=4 (these are of course based on overall unit marks)

To calculate your GPA you plus all the points your units award you and divide that by your number of subjects. For example if you get 1 pass, 1 credit, 1 distinction and a HD you would add 4+5+6+7, which adds up to 22, next step is to divide 22 by 4 as that is the number of subjects you have undertaken...this would give you a GPA of 5.5.

In your case though if you need to maintain a GPA of 4...all you need to do is pass everything and you're fine :)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Yep, GPA of 4 is a pass for all your subjects. Should be relatively easy to get.

Lu Lu

HSC
Thanks guys. Its kinda funny how they assume that everyone understands all that stuff so they don't explain it.

L

LaraB

Lu Lu said:
Hi everyone, I got a scholarship this year and to keep it I must have a GPA of 4.00. What does this mean and how much marks do i need to keep it.
this should be in your scholarship agreement - read it carefully - coz both of mine outloines this as did most my friends' ones.

and btw - omg am i jealous! i gotta keep a credit average for both AND i have to pass every assessment..so like, if i for some amazing reason got HD's in everything, but failied one assessment, i lose both ,.....so crap :(

Jacks

HSC
yeah I was going to say you're very lucky if all you have to do is maintain a pass average. Really all we can say no matter what average you have to get is just do the best you can. It definitely isn't hard to pass everything if you hand stuff in and go to tutes etc...a credit average or above is not out of reach either so just do the best you can...I'm sure you'll be able to keep your scholarship. :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
LaraB said:
this should be in your scholarship agreement - read it carefully - coz both of mine outloines this as did most my friends' ones.

and btw - omg am i jealous! i gotta keep a credit average for both AND i have to pass every assessment..so like, if i for some amazing reason got HD's in everything, but failied one assessment, i lose both ,.....so crap :(
Yeah thats so unfair it shouldnt be a pass it should be higher, im not on a scholarship but i would expect the funders to expect better

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
Yeah thats so unfair it shouldnt be a pass it should be higher, im not on a scholarship but i would expect the funders to expect better
I think its fair, Lu Lu is probably on a different type of scholarship than LaraB. Each scholarship has different requirements based on what type it is. meh, I wouldn't be complaining if I got a scholarship only requiring a pass average :uhhuh:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
I think its fair, Lu Lu is probably on a different type of scholarship than LaraB. Each scholarship has different requirements based on what type it is. meh, I wouldn't be complaining if I got a scholarship only requiring a pass average :uhhuh:
Yeah but what benefit is the sponsor getting and plus its not fair to those not on a scholarship who have a higher GPA

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
UWS doesn't just provide scholarships for people who get high UAI's and high GPAs. There are numerous scholarships based on where you live, some are course specific etc, so they don't all require C or D GPA. Lu Lu's scholarship might have something to do with their fanancial situation or living location which is why they only need a P average. But I'll stop specutaling.

L

LaraB

Korn said:
Yeah but what benefit is the sponsor getting and plus its not fair to those not on a scholarship who have a higher GPA
not all schoalrships have an academic basis - there are leadership ones, merit equity ones, ones to encourage certain genders etc to enter professions etc

the sponser gets the benefit in a lot of ways..eg for onw of mine i have to attend blacktown council functions and speak and attend polotical events etc.. the uni one i have to help out at open days, attened presentations and political an dmedia functions etc

so the sponsor does benefit... especially in th ecases in which teh scholarship is more a cadetship in practice - ie you work for them now or are obliged to in future

they aren't meant ot be given to the top students in the uni...

all of these kinds of scholarship are based on criteria determiend prior to entry to the course, thus it is used to help those who cant afford uni, as incentive to encourgae high achieveing students to attend the uni, promote entry to certain courses etc etc etc

Lu Lu

HSC
Hey guys I'm a rural student living in the city (Campbelltown is nearly they city for me) for the first time. I need all the help I can get. Do you know how more expensive it is hear than at home. Also country people are less educated than city people therefore a pass should be ok for rural students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)