• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Grad Law and WA Info (1 Viewer)

jess083

HSC
Hi

I have applied for Grad Law in Perth and wanted to know if there is anyone here who goes to any of the Perth uni's, if so whats it like, how hard is it to get in. Also if there is anyone out there who has done or is doing the Grad Law any tips or advice, how hard is it with overloading. I have just finished a nurse degree and my average was 70.9 so hope I get in.

Any info would be great!

Thanks

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
jess083 said:
Hi

I have applied for Grad Law in Perth and wanted to know if there is anyone here who goes to any of the Perth uni's, if so whats it like, how hard is it to get in. Also if there is anyone out there who has done or is doing the Grad Law any tips or advice, how hard is it with overloading. I have just finished a nurse degree and my average was 70.9 so hope I get in.

Any info would be great!

Thanks
Where did you apply? UWA, Murdoch, Edith Cowan, and Notre Dame all offer law courses, but I'm not sure which of them offer Grad programs.

UWA is the hardest to get into, primarily because of the popularity of the degree and the relatively few places on offer. Murdoch would be the next hardest to get into. Notre Dame is a bit different becasue it is a private institution, so it really depends on paying your way in.

In terms of quality, UWA always has the reputation as being the best, but the gap has narrowed significantly in the past couple of years. Now there isn't much differentiation between UWA and Murdoch in terms of placement of graduates. Plenty of my friends from either university got their Articles.

I just finished my undergraduate law degree at UWA, had a blast. A bunch of my friends did law at Murdoch, and had a blast. I know a couple of people from Notre Dame doing law, and they're having a blast as well. So in terms of fun, you'll be fine wherever you go (but the social life is the best at Murdoch and UWA).

As far as overloading goes, it depends how heavy you have to go. Standard load at UWA was four units a semester. I ended up doing 5 units a semester for my entire degree because of my second degree. It was tough at times, but not significantly harder than doing a standard load. Full time or part time work would have made it harder.

Any other questions you have, fire away. I was a UWA undergrad student, so thats the school I know best.

jess083

HSC
Thanks for the reply. I have applied to UWA first and then Murdoch. ECU dont have grad law, which is ok cos I didnt really want to go there anyway. I didnt apply to Notre Dame as my results werent out in time so missed the date.

I am hoping I get into UWA as they are the only uni I can see that has a medicine and law unit, and thats the area I am interested in. With the grad law they said the unit load ranges from 4 - 6 units a semester.

At UWA did you know anyone who was doing the grad law pathway. Just wanted to know if all the groups mix (undergraduates and grads).

I have been reading on this other forum that its really hard to get articles. Have you found this? And that you need over 70% to even be considered.

Can I also ask what other degree you did. I was worried because I have a nursing degree I may be at a disadvantage when I am up against people who have a business or other degree.

Hope you dont mind all the questions sorry I went on a bit.

Thanks

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
jess083 said:
Thanks for the reply. I have applied to UWA first and then Murdoch. ECU dont have grad law, which is ok cos I didnt really want to go there anyway. I didnt apply to Notre Dame as my results werent out in time so missed the date.
OK. UWA and Murdoch are the two best choices anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about Notre Dame.

jess083 said:
I am hoping I get into UWA as they are the only uni I can see that has a medicine and law unit, and thats the area I am interested in. With the grad law they said the unit load ranges from 4 - 6 units a semester.
A 4 to 6 unit load each semester shouldn't be too bad. I was doing a 5 unit load and usually had 10 or less contact hours (lectures and tutorials) each week, with as much extra study as you want to do.

I'd take a look at the Alternative Faculty Handbook that the Blackstone Society (the law student group) put out each year. Its written by students, and takes in a lot of feedback from people who actually took the unit. You can get it at http://blackstone.asn.au/education/publications/alternative-faculty-handbook/

jess083 said:
At UWA did you know anyone who was doing the grad law pathway. Just wanted to know if all the groups mix (undergraduates and grads).
I knew a fair few grad students. The grad group is a really tight knit group - they put on a good number of shows and gatherings. The mix is a little strange. The younger first and second year kids don't mix much with the grad groups - thats more to do with age differences. First years are 17 year olds who don't have much in common with 23-24 year olds.

The grads mix well with the older undergrad students - you'll find a large number of fifth and sixth year undergrads in Law who are 22 or 23 years old. Some people will be 3-year-course grads, 4 year undergrads, 5 or 6 year double degree undergrads, 7 year part timers. With so many people, it really doesn't matter what "year" you're supposed to be in, you'll meet plenty of people in other years.

jess083 said:
I have been reading on this other forum that its really hard to get articles. Have you found this? And that you need over 70% to even be considered.
Haha, I wouldn't worry too much about the scaremongerers over on the Vogue forums. They seem oddly bitter and disillusioned. Getting articles at a big commercial firm is always competitive - but a lot of the time it comes down to application and interview technique.

I personally chose not to go into law, so I didn't go through the articles application process. But I personally know of only one or two people who wanted articles and didn't get them. Some went to the big firms, some went to the smaller independent firms. But most people end up finding articles somewhere.

jess083 said:
Can I also ask what other degree you did. I was worried because I have a nursing degree I may be at a disadvantage when I am up against people who have a business or other degree.
I did a Commerce degree at the same time. Don't worry about being at any disadvantage, you won't be. Studying law is so different to studying other courses that everyone starts on the same foot.

I would go so far to say that aside from a unit called Corporate Securities and Regulations, my Commerce studies were completely irrelevant to my law units. So don't worry about this aspect, you won't be disadvantaged.

jess083 said:
Hope you dont mind all the questions sorry I went on a bit.
No worries at all, we're all on this board to help out.

jess083

HSC
Thank you so much for all that. its great. You have cleared up heaps.

I had a look at the alternative guide which cleared up a bit. Will be really helpful if i get in so gonna save that address.

And you are right it was the Vogue forum. They really freaked me out cos the made out like it is impossible to get articles if you dont have a D or HD average.

I find out in January if I get in so fingers crossed. I cant think of anymore questions so thanks for the help. If in January I get in I probably will have more questions then. I am really hoping to get into UWA as like i said before it has the medicine unit and Murdoch doesnt. I have also listened to the Dean I think it was talk at the open day and it sounds great the whole experience.

Thanks again for you help!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
It depends on where you want to do articles. A mid-tier firm or lower may not scrutinise your academic results as much as a top tier firm.

A top tier firm will receive hundreds and hundreds of applications for only a few places, they won't have the time to look through the details of every resume. So they screen the applicants looking only at academic results first. They keep the HD average applicants, then they'll work their way through the D applicants. That's why having top academic results is absolutely crucial if you want to make it into a top tier or mid tier firms. If you don't have the marks, you won't make it through the initial screening process, you won't even get to spruik your application much less utilise your interview technique.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)