• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Good suburbs to live in close to the Maquarie Centre? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Since I'll probably end up accepting an offer with Procter & Gamble (if they likes me during my internship and grad days), I'd have to travel to the Macquarie Centre each day (it's just across the road from it).

So, I'll be looking to buy my own small apartment in the area in a few years time. What would be a good location to live that is relatively close to the Macquarie Centre (less than half hour travel time), has a low crime rate, nice air, etc.

Also, one bedroom apartments should cost less than $350k to buy

Regards,

jean-paul

Kiim2507

HSC
I have no idea about pricing but I lived in Macquarie Park and it was good there. And where I lived was about a 15minute walk or 5 mins on the bus.
Transport is good there, buses to Macquarie Centre, Chatswood and the city.

I think the areas around there (Marsfield, North Ryde, Ryde) are also fairly good.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
North Ryde, East Ryde, Top Ryde, Epping (especially once the train line is up and running), Gladesville, Eastwood, et al.

Gladesville is best however :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
isn't gladesville crap for transport? also, aren't there gangs in Eastwood?

what's the crime rate like in ryde?

epping sounds quite good for what i need, overall.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
stazi said:
isn't gladesville crap for transport? also, aren't there gangs in Eastwood?

what's the crime rate like in ryde?

epping sounds quite good for what i need, overall.
nah, victoria road runs straight through it! You get all the 500 buses.
518, 506, 5something to Macquarie Center. L20 to parramatta, etc.

Eastwood? moar liek Eastwoo ^_^

crime rate? iono but Ryde is pretty good if you ask me.

and yeah, Epping would be serious win

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i dont mind asians. it's lebs i have a problem with.

lala2

Banned
HSC
The whole area there is pretty safe. You could try Chatswood too, there's a couple of buses running between it and Macquarie, and with the new train line opening next year it's even more convenient. I wouldn't go for Eastwood though, it seems the ethnic demographics are shifting to a not so good state though, and it seems lately there's been a spate of crime there.

Epping is good too.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
all flats in the area are shit

i.e. housing comission or some 60s brutalist trash

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
why is stas always so worried about gangs?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Good suburbs to live in close to the Maquarie Centre?

that's not what I was saying, I just think it's an irrational fear.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: Good suburbs to live in close to the Maquarie Centre?

a sydney suburb gang killed my father

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Good suburbs to live in close to the Maquarie Centre?

zimmerman8k said:
I totally disagree. Whilst you can't live in constant fear, you can make a rational assessment of the relative probability of being a victim of violence in various areas and make a choice that significantly reduces your chances of suffering such violence.
You'd never hang out around the CBD if that was the case. I can perhaps understand a fear of having stuff stolen from your house or even that the local 'hang out' spots are crowded with people you might not get along with, but the fear of getting beat up by some gang is imho totally irrational unless you're moving in to a particularly violent suburb.

As for 'chances', I'd say your chance of suffering the violence is incredibly small... if you're really worried about your health in that way I would expect you to be the sort of person that puts safety features ahead of everything else when it comes to buying a car, doesn't stay out too late etc etc...

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Enteebee said:
why is stas always so worried about gangs?
Let's say I'm coming home at night. I would like to be listening to music. However, there's a good chance if I'm walking home alone late at night, and there's a lot of crime in the area, I would not have my Ipod for much longer.

Enteebee said:
You'd never hang out around the CBD if that was the case. I can perhaps understand a fear of having stuff stolen from your house or even that the local 'hang out' spots are crowded with people you might not get along with, but the fear of getting beat up by some gang is imho totally irrational unless you're moving in to a particularly violent suburb.

As for 'chances', I'd say your chance of suffering the violence is incredibly small... if you're really worried about your health in that way I would expect you to be the sort of person that puts safety features ahead of everything else when it comes to buying a car, doesn't stay out too late etc etc...
CBD = loads and loads of people around. the chances of you being robbed on the way home are thus decreased.

suburbs = not that many people around. getting home usually requires navigating through dark streets. Even in Edgecliff I've had abuse yelled at me by 'lads'.

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
North Ryde and West Ryde have gangs. These are the places you would most likely get rolled. North Ryde has a large Islander population; West Ryde has a large Wog population. Top Ryde is gross and I would not live there. Chatswood and Epping are full of Asians so I wouldn't live their either.

In decreasing order of desirability I would say Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, Gladesville, Putney and East Ryde are good areas. Marsfield is okay. There's a place like Huntley's Cove, by the water at Gladesville, too.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yeah lane cove would be decent. Trains however would be quite desirable, so a place like artarmon would be good. ,... is there a south ryde?

as for asians, I don't mind them (as long as they're not gangsta-wannabe asians).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)