• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Getting an average rank but shocking mark???? (1 Viewer)

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
In maths im coming 15 / 45 and my assesment mark are bout 55 my class are drop kicks and havent turned up to class and probably fail the exam coming in terms of my self can i still get high 70s for my self if i significantly improve my hsc exam but the class still goes shit????/

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
bumps lonely head............

香港!

HSC
th said:
In maths im coming 15 / 45 and my assesment mark are bout 55 my class are drop kicks and havent turned up to class and probably fail the exam coming in terms of my self can i still get high 70s for my self if i significantly improve my hsc exam but the class still goes shit????/
ya of coz
in school it's about ur rank not ur marks...

Digital_Spork

HSC
Im in same situation, there are 2 math classes and im ranked like 8/43. Most of the top30 are/were trying to pass, the rest dont care. So yay for my rank! :D

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
i just hope i can pull of a 75 in the hsc

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
may i ask wats ur marks like but 15 / 45 is shit

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
lol our top 10 are about 90s as well
i think our highest is about 98 or 99. predictably my rank and mark is shit :D

香港!

HSC
th said:
nah 1st has got bout 80
stop talking about the "marks"!
at school it's all about ranks.. the "marks" only come in when considering the GAPS between the ranks...
it doesn't matter if you get 20% overall at school as long as you're rank is good and you and the people above you (if any) do good in the HSC exam!!

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
香港! said:
at school it's all about ranks.. the "marks" only come in when considering the GAPS between the ranks...
it doesn't matter if you get 20% overall at school as long as you're rank is good and you and the people above you (if any) do good in the HSC exam!!
sorry can u pls clarify im abit illeterate when it comes to the whole assesment moderating theories

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
digital_spork said:
Not if the top 14 are getting high 90's...
th said:
nah 1st has got bout 80
香港! said:
read before you do your thang. oh and by the way...i can't wait until i go back to hong kong for my license :D

香港!

HSC
th said:
sorry can u pls clarify im abit illeterate when it comes to the whole assesment moderating theories
just go and read around various posts... there's many posts on these things

HSC
can i ask you guys a question, i know how assessment marks are aligned to your ranks HSC mark in the year, but, how does spacing between ranks fit into this (no pun intended)

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
yeh i wanna ask about this as well.. like im ranked 24th in english.. but it's probably the 10th highest mark with all the equal ranks.. how does this work ?

HSC
The board is more concerned with the deviation between each of the ranks submitted by the school, in fact, ranks aren't even submitted, just marks are. So if you're coming 24th in English but are only a couple of marks behind 1st then its better than coming second to the same person but being a considerable amount of marks behind them.

A l

HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
can i ask you guys a question, i know how assessment marks are aligned to your ranks HSC mark in the year, but, how does spacing between ranks fit into this (no pun intended)
Spacing between ranks is important because it determines the distribution of marks. The moderating process makes all assessment marks equal to those of the entire state. The places between ranks are taken up by other students in the state. For example, if a gap between two consecutive ranks is small, then that gap would account for a small number of other students in the course candidature. If the gap was large however, (say 1st and 2nd) then a lot of other students from the course candidature fill up that large gap and hence the person with the lower rank is ranked lower compared to the state (eg. if difference between 1st and 2nd in school is a lot, then 2nd may become like 50th in the state while 1st remains at 1st position due to many other students filling those gaps)

nwatts

HSC
A_|: Let me ask this then, because I don't quite understand:

I have a rank of 11/11, an assessment mark of 52 and the spacing between me and the person ranked 10th is say, 15 marks. If it comes HSC exam time and I get 75%, and the person ranked 10th gets 75%, will the spacing between our assessment marks be moderated accordingly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)