• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General Questions (People, Classes etc) (1 Viewer)

Dj Fuzion

HSC
Hey Guys, i have applied for B Bus B Comp and just have some Q's regarding the UNI.

1) Because i hope to be doing this degree are all of my classes with people who have enrolled in B Bus B Comp? or are my business classes with other students and the computing stuff with other people etc? (like are all the people in my classes just B Bus B Comp Students?)

2) I want a shoulder bag, is this good for uni? lots of textbooks?

3) Is uni full on when you start? or do they easy you into work? e.g the first day will i get 10 assignments and 4 speeches etc etc.? is class full on? like do they jump on the big stuff striaght away?

4) do you meet people from other faculties? easy to make friends? or hard beacuse there not doing the same thing?

5) parties? heaps? (students, organised by UNI?)

6)how many days is B Bus B Comp? and is 12 hours including lectures, so you can make it shorter (i wont skip lectures coz i am dumb as it is so i wont be missing them)

hmmm thats about it, thanks guys appreciate whoever answers these.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
Dj Fuzion said:
1) Because i hope to be doing this degree are all of my classes with people who have enrolled in B Bus B Comp? or are my business classes with other students and the computing stuff with other people etc? (like are all the people in my classes just B Bus B Comp Students?)
Some classes will inevitably have students from just plain business, some from other combined business courses and some from outright other faculties. However, you will find many of your classes will constitute of people from B Bus B Comp because like 97% of the people follow the same timetable/times.

Dj Fuzion said:
2) I want a shoulder bag, is this good for uni? lots of textbooks?
It's okay. You don't carry all your books everyday (if anything, you only carry the book for that subject each day) and sometimes, you don't even have to bring the book. Basically all you need for a tutorial/lecture are pencils/pens/erasers/etc., lecture slides, something to write on (if you're not going to write on the lecture slides/have no space) and whatever else you usually have with you.

Actually, you could probably get away with some lectures without bringing anything if either you have a keen interest, or just don't really bother listening and do the work later at home :D I know I do that several times and it ends up benefiting me more as some of the lecturers *cough*ITfaculty*cough* do not present their material well (or even coherently sometimes).

Dj Fuzion said:
3) Is uni full on when you start? or do they easy you into work? e.g the first day will i get 10 assignments and 4 speeches etc etc.? is class full on? like do they jump on the big stuff striaght away?
No, I found it "easier" than highschool. But that's just me. I didn't really try much in highschool, but I've changed my ways. I find if you do your homework, and generally just try to understand what is being put through, you will probably end up with a high credit if not distinction or even high distinction.

I would say B Bus B Comp is relatively relaxed the first year (as opposed to other unis/courses which I hear from other people, who are quite intelligent, is pretty hard). You don't have any speeches, presentations perhaps but rarely (only for like 3 of the 8 subjects in the first year or something) but they're pretty easy. If they are nice, you will probably only have 3 days a week. Ample time to a) go out and b) work, as well as c) study effectively.

The course material for some subjects starts out with you thinking..wtf..why are they teaching us like year 8 material. But it can get pretty tough at times (and I'd assume this distinguishes from the passes to the higher grades). But do your work, know it well and study for the exam and you'll easily pass.

Dj Fuzion said:
4) do you meet people from other faculties? easy to make friends? or hard beacuse there not doing the same thing?
Sometimes you meet others from other faculties. Personally, I think its pointless since you rarely see them. For example, I have never seen most of the people I've seen from the orientation camp again since the beginning of the year. Easy to make friends? I'd say it's not tough. People are in the same position as you, and most are willing to be friendly. Most people are pretty mature by this point. But at the same time, first year is hard to make friends. I found most people stick to little groups, are unwilling to really meet others outside of this group (and by groups, I generalise by saying they're grouped by ethnicity most of the time). Though, I think it may slowly change. Also, group work is a great opportunity to meet some new people (although, no offence :D, but make sure they look at least moderately intelligent lol).

Dj Fuzion said:
5) parties? heaps? (students, organised by UNI?)
None? XD Not so much, but unless you really get close to some friends, I doubt there will be any big parties or anything. With the uni, there are events every now and then, but then again, alot of people from the course probably won't end up going.

Dj Fuzion said:
6)how many days is B Bus B Comp? and is 12 hours including lectures, so you can make it shorter (i wont skip lectures coz i am dumb as it is so i wont be missing them)
Yes, 12 hours approx. (Was 11 for me in spring, but that's cause of Marketing and its supreme stupidity). It is 3 days (or should be, but may change in second year as it is for many people..some even going to a full 5 days a week if they're unlucky). It is including lectures. We have it REALLY easy. Lectures are generally 2 hours (or sometimes 1 or 1 1/2 hours). The tutorial is the rest. Each subject generally is 3 hours, so if a lecture is 2 hours, expect the tute to be 1 hour. If a lecture is 1 1/2 hours, expect the tute to be the same. Some lecturers are really good at what they do. I know some of them help me..others..as I said above..I don't know why they even bother..

Though, for a tip, if you are really wanting to listen in lectures, sit somewhere away from the talkative people cause you'll never hear anything, not to mention the lecturers would probably be screaming at them in that general direction.

I hope that has helped.

B Bus B Comp FTW.

Edit: Ughh..typos and stuff.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
That's a pretty good answer! Thanks. When you make it in, the orientation camp will help you make some new friends and it will help you on your first day as well.

Dj Fuzion

HSC
Fantasic mate..truly awesome answer.

So is it likely to meet people just doing business or other combined business degree in your classes? or would all of my friends be from B Bus B Comp.

also a rough percentage how many people in say marketing would be from B Bus B Comp? alot?

thanks again for your time, truly helped heaps.

maka

HSC
Mate.... wouldnt know percentages but the thing is you make mates in each subject irrespective of their chosen degree. You get a core group of mates but the thing is you will recognise alot of people but wont see them that often due to either different electives, majors or courses. They become mates every know and then but dont worry you get more mates next subject/year etc.

Also your mates will introduce you to people too

aleco88

HSC
does anyone know anybody who has made it into B.Bus from the insearch program? did they go straight into 2nd year?
also, with a uai of 81 what is the best way to get into the B.Bus course at UTS?

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
I think if you do the insearch program.. in 2nd year, you do first year subjects i.e. just starting your selected course.

That's what I've heard from people I know who've done insearch

aleco88

HSC
ok Panda Bear, so what do you think, should I go thru insearch or start the B. Bus at some other uni and then transfer?
Don't a lot of O/Seas students go there?

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
It's really up to you.

Some Oversea students are there I'd imagine and people who didn't quite make it into their course i.e. missing out by a margin or what not.

However, if you do B.Bus at another uni. and transfer over back to UTS to do the same course, that sounds a bit ecky.

Its up you :)

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
lol ... uts and party havnt ever been mentioned in the same sentance me thinks?

but yeah, definately go the IT o-camp like jasee said. i was dreading going on the o-camp for eng, although it was pretty bad, the friends i made there became my *actual* uni friends... its alot easier that way having familiar faces around on your first day, compared to just going straight in and knowing no one.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
If you're lucky you can fit the twelve hours in two days which is what I did last semester. I found that most people in my classes are either straight business or business/comp students or business/law. Most in my marketing class were business/computing but you have to understand that marketing is a subject that has heaps of people in it.

in UTS lectures are there generally alot of people, like how many people would be in 1 lec. whats the average size for a lec.

ragnarok

Inanimate Carbon Rod
HSC
misscow said:
in UTS lectures are there generally alot of people, like how many people would be in 1 lec. whats the average size for a lec.
Depends on the subject and/or lecturer :D

Some subjects (particularly business ones) are always full and use large lecture theatres. A few hundred people wouldn't be out of the ordinary for them. However, some subjects may have two (or perhaps more) lecture times a day/week. If so, lectures (and the rooms) are generally smaller (say 100 something people).

With regards to depending on the "lecturer", sometimes, some lecturers I dare say, cannot teach and/or control their students at all :p As such, lectures are usually diminished as people don't bother to attend. I remember one time in Autumn semester, apparently like 7 people attended one of the lectures :D *cough*ISP*cough*..I think they wasted their time. IT lectures are generally smaller and sometimes more specific to certain courses and as such, are much smaller than business side lectures.

With all that said, I'd say the average would be 150+. I think after first and second years though, subjects tend to get much much smaller as people go their separate ways. Right? :p

W

whsmith

150 people!

last year i was in a class of 8. With the same people... With all the same subjects.

Wowza.

1875% Increase for me!! Im Scared.

Will S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)