• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Functional Paradigm (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What type of questions can they possibly ask us for the function paradigm?

The only functional paradigm question i've come across in all the past papers is just observing fragments of code and editting them accordingly to the question.

Anything else I should look out for in particular?

Jinglebell

HSC
in our trial (i think it was cssa, but i'm not sure) we got

-a code fragment to identify as functional and state why

-"imperative languages use control structures of sequence, selection and repetition and global variables. explain how functional and logic languages acgieve the same outcomes without all of the control structures and global variables" 4 marks

-discussing a statement about logic languages operating on a higher level than other paradigms, with reference to the other 3 paradigms

-one of those 'pick the appropriate paradigm for this scenario' things, where you had to say why the other paradigms were less appropriate

so it was mostly writing about the features of the functional paradigm in a bunch of diffeent contexts.

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
Possible questions.....

-Compare and contrast between the different paradigms.

Functional languages are not procedural, basically a series of (nested) function calls.

-How do functional languages handle iterations(loops)? Recursion.

-You are not expected to know any functional languages but you may be asked to write some code given a sample code segment example. SamD's text covers Haskall which is pretty easy to understand.

Other than that I am not sure.

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
just to add to that Functional is not the only one to use
recursion, logic programming
also uses recursion.

Recursion(a function directly/indirectly calls upon itself) are more efficient than loops, recursion uses less line of codes.

Glide

Logic is based on facts and rules... wheres the recursion in that D:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
When you got a rule within a rule.

If I recall correctly, SamD has a good explanation on it and how it applies to the logic paradigm. But like woah, i had to read it like 3 times to understand it fully.

SamD

HSC
N/A
You can use recursion in any of the paradigms, its just that in purely functional languages recursion is the primary method for implementing repetition (and in some functional languages its the only method).

HTH
Sam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)