• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

First Day (memos) (1 Viewer)

epicFAILx

HSC
Hi, I am about to go into Year 11.
I suspect Year11 is a big change in highschool as things get more difficult and there is more pressure...

I have these thoughts about when I finally enter Year 11 it will be a great shock for me.

What about you?
What was it like on your first day of Year 11?
and any advice on surviving the last two years of schooling... :)

(feel free to discuss)

Eddy Q

OINK
HSC
When I was in Year 11 I was like: Yeah...ok.
Then recovering from my excess of gaming in the Term 4 holidays I gradually started to work hard and study but I didn't care too much since it was Year 11 so I had some fun as well. Year 11 isn't that demanding but it is a period where you'll start to pick out from your classes who's the most hard working person in your class or who's the most competitive person, etc.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Pretty much the same atmosphere/environment, except it was doing different subjects and work for once. Unless of course, you're moving from schools between year 10 and 11. =)

Also enjoy bossing juniors. =P

One piece of advice I can give is to study hard but more importantly, study smart. You've probably read all the advice on BoS with people telling you to do this and that; Preliminary is the time where you learn and pick up the study skills that work for you so you're confidently prepared heading into year 12.

Pyrobooby

HSC
Pretty exciting! Getting new timetables, learning things you actually want to learn, getting the senior quad, new uniforms. You feel a lot more mature and responsible.

Take the year lightly, but developing habits in year 11 works wonders in year 12.

And don't pick up jigging. When it becomes a habit, school feels like prison and you end up doing no work.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I am about to go into Year 11.
I suspect Year11 is a big change in highschool as things get more difficult and there is more pressure...

I have these thoughts about when I finally enter Year 11 it will be a great shock for me.

What about you?
What was it like on your first day of Year 11?
and any advice on surviving the last two years of schooling... :)

(feel free to discuss)
i thought i was on top of the world after SC and hsc was going to be a breeze HAH.
i was more excited about using a binder than actually studying at the beginning of year 11 .. but it was a good 3 terms!

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
My old school was only a 7-10 school so starting year 11 involved moving schools. Which was weird, and different, but most of my cohort went with me which made things easier. Overall, first day of 11 was pretty fun. Mostly orientation stuff. The "real work" didn't kick in for a week or two, but everything was manageable.

As for advice for your last two years of schooling...enjoy it. Especially year eleven. But don't slack off just because it's preliminary and "doesn't count" -- the things you learn and habits you establish will provide a basis for your HSC year. Get ahead now, avoid scrambling to get yourself together at the end.

Have fun!

HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 for me was half bludge half work hard and smart. Apparently I moved schools to a senior campus since my previous school didn't let me do the subjects I wanted to do. The first 2-3 weeks were a bludge with an exception for maths. Once week 4 hit, we had to start working. I know of many people who cbfed and dropped out of school in year 11, especially between the end of term 1 and term 2.

Anyhow, the first day for me was like... meeting friends I met on orientation week and talking about the holidays and stuff, was still pretty chilled. I mostly hung around the Balmainers coz the Leichhardt group seemed kinda alienish until a few weeks later, where they became more friendly.. :p

Well for the last two years of high school, enjoy it and work effectively for a good ATAR as well =D
it's not like you won't have a life even through HSC..
I swear atm the difficulty of the HSC is pretty overrated... but idk it depends between person to person...

try to enjoy preliminary more and don't stress out otherwise you could possibly burn out for year 12, which won't be good..

Kanane

HSC
N/A
To be honest, the transition for me from Year 10 to Year 11 wasn't that major. It just seemed like another school year was beginning and that was it.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Well starting year 11 wasn't that much of a change to me. Mostly that changed was we were given access to the senior areas of the campus. But other than that, the academics didn't change much. As individuals the majority of us were doing subjects because we wanted to, or of course they were requirements for University, so we were all enjoying the learning atmosphere and content. Teachers weren't too much stricter, they constantly refer to the 'HSC and associated stress' to scare us now, in hope to prepare us and as such. In terms of work load, it wasn't that different, of course assessment periods were a bit more stressful; but it was all manageable.

The most important advice I can give for year 11. Have fun, whilst remembering to learn. Not learning as in the content, but the habits and attitudes you will need to develop for the HSC year. Year 11 is about finding your strengths and weaknesses, learning your good habits and bad habits, practicing time management and stress relief, and keeping on top of everything else. Take the year to learn these things, and it will save you from the rushed attempt to in year 12.

Good luck. Enjoy yourself. :)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
lol Year 11 was probably the most relaxed year I've had so far. and you get this feeling that no one cares until year 12 actually starts, (as ranks don't matter, they get reset to 0 again in yr 12). but of course I didn't waste it, I worked hard so I will be used to year 12 work. + doing subjects you actually like (not all of em you will like, but at least you will enjoy more of your subjects)

Zeroes

HSC
To be honest I'm just happy to be dropping several subjects I hated, like geography. Other than that, I feel the same as I did at the start of every school year. (That could change once it actually starts, of course)

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Year 11 is just another year but with more freedom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)