• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Financial 'need'...definition please? (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I just got a letter saying I had been rejected for a scholarship, I'm cool...it's just I wonder what classifies as 'financial need'. It wasn't the deciding factor in this one I missed out on but I'm beginning to think that 'need' requires you to be living in a cardboard box and only eating baked beans to be considered. Anyone care to shed light on this?

Another interesing thing is with the Commonwealth Learning Scholarships and the CAccommodationScholarships. You have to demonstrate financial need but this can be demonstrated by the fact you are a recipient of a Centrelink Allowance such as Austudy. Now I tried to get this, deferred for a year to work however had trouble landing jobs that were A. highly paid and B. longer than a 6month contract (I only earned $14 500)...yet I know kids that are really really well off family wise, AND will get Austudy because their parents/friend of a friend/aunt/uncle employed them. So they get the allowance, qualify to apply for all these scholarships and they are still going to be getting perks from their parents but they didn't work as hard as me and others.

How the hell does this happen? I think it's extremely unfair.

*WHINGE*

Last edited:
financial hardship is defined as "gettin payments from centerlink" and u have to get a statement from centerlink saying that u and ur family recieve such payments.

thats wht i think anyways!!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
*has no parents, looks after herself and receives youth allowance*

shit why didnt i apply for a scholarship?!?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I'd be stoked it if had an income high enough to pay the rent let alone food/bills/textbooks/etc.

But apparently I'm also too rich to receive any benefits from the govt, so I'm living off what I saved up throughout high school :S

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
BillyMak said:
But apparently I'm also too rich to receive any benefits from the govt, so I'm living off what I saved up throughout high school :S
Yah. Me too...well my parents are deemed to 'earn too much'...funny that...it's not as if it's all going to their super now...I think they want to retire very soon. They're teachers...nuf said.

But I am genuinely happy when kids who are bad off get the scholarships...it's just I've seen a few go to really really well off kids...that annoys me.

Lainee

HSC
NonCompusMentis said:
I live away from home, have a Healthcare (Low Income) card and get Youth Allowance and can't get one. I can't afford textbooks or anything but the other applicants must be worse off.
There's a simply solution to textbooks: go to library -> borrow books -> scan in (print certain pgs only if absolutely necessary). Thank God for libraries.

I get the Access scholarship ($4000 p.a.) and by my calculation I it just covers transport costs, uni fees, textbooks/course readers, stationery, internet access and spare change for things like printing and lunch.

It's not much (especially because I had to support my parents and sister) so I took on 3 hectic jobs and worked my arse off, stuck any savings in the bank so that I can cut down to one 10-15hr job this year and focus on improving on my crappy 1st yr marks.

The funny thing is, I notified Centrelink of my increased income and they cut my Youth Allowance (it's back to the normal level now) and USYD about whether that'll affect my scholarship, but they said my scholarship was not going to change. I think I must have been pretty damn destitute to start off with so my increased income was making up for the negative numbers... :confused:

lala2

Banned
HSC
I love libraries. Go public transport. In fact, anything that costs nothing or very little! Very inspirational, Lainee--good on you!

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
I don't know why I got the Commonwealth Accomodation Scholarship.

- I had no job during the HSC (I now have one)
- I won't have *heaps* of money for uni, I'll have enough.
- My parentals will be supporting me

But I'm also the child of a single-parent family, moving from a regional centre to Sydney and my UAI's 2+ points above the cut-off of my course.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Wolfowitz said:
I don't know why I got the Commonwealth Accomodation Scholarship.

- I had no job during the HSC (I now have one)
- I won't have *heaps* of money for uni, I'll have enough.
- My parentals will be supporting me

But I'm also the child of a single-parent family, moving from a regional centre to Sydney and my UAI's 2+ points above the cut-off of my course.
How much money is the scholarship worth?

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
HSC
my UAI's 2+ points above the cut-off of my course.
I'm applying for a CAS scholarship too...the funny thing is, a uai wasn't required for my course...well...they look at it, but I got in through a talent-based entry system (2 interviews + project + HSC certificate [no uai] + academic record + demonstrated experience + references).

I feel like writing on my application, gimme the scholarship, i got 93.65 points above the required UAI...just to be a smart arse. Hehehe.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Skillo said:
I'm applying for a CAS scholarship too...the funny thing is, a uai wasn't required for my course...well...they look at it, but I got in through a talent-based entry system (2 interviews + project + HSC certificate [no uai] + academic record + demonstrated experience + references).

I feel like writing on my application, gimme the scholarship, i got 93.65 points above the required UAI...just to be a smart arse. Hehehe.
I'm sure if you got 0 they'd disqualify you from living.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)