• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

External Stability/balance (1 Viewer)

meyero

HSC
Hey everyone,
as many people have theorised that one of this year's essays is to be on external stability i thought i'd start a thread which argued a few points.
Tim Riley shows that the terms external stability and external balance are not interchangeable. For example he defines external stability as X=M (export income is sufficient to pay for income expenditure) while external balance is when X=M, exchange rates are not volatile, and a low CAD as a percentage of GDP and Net Foreign liabilites.

i)Does anyone know if these terms are interchangeable or do they actually mean different things?
ii) Would you talk about only X=M or about xchange rate, CAD, NFL if asked about external stability

HSC
i would tend to think that external balance meant X = M and external stability would mean keeping XR, CAD, NFL under control
but if you were asked on an essay question, surely, you'll write about XR, CAD, NFL rather than just X = M

i-color

yeah i agree with too lazy...i dont' think we should be trying to get technical with the terms of the question. I mean you could always define them in your essays, but I don't think you'd just concentrate on X=M if you were asked about external stability..........this is because what the govt focuses on is external stability and internal balance.......and they don't just focus on X=M.

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
yeah i agree too

are you sure you dont have the definitions mixed up?

i mean, the chapter defines external stability with YOUR external balance definition

coroneos

ummm this question wont be in the 2004 HSC.. its alreadi been asked before..

KungPow

HSC
Hey you're right. 2001 Q25 and 2002 Q26 and 27 (kinda). So much for that theory =/

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Because of course they never ask the same question twice. *looks around aimlessly*

...Globalisation.

I predict it will come up.

aditya

HSC
yes but it could be policy options for external stbalitly.... or... well thats all i got right now ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)