• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ext Hist project- Black Death (1 Viewer)

teneale99

HSC
Hey guys,
i was hoping uz had some ideas on where i could get some more good imfo for my topic- the black death. websites etc....books.
also with my topic their isnt much argument...basically all hisotrians agree with the death toll, causes, effects (only with sloght indifferences) maybe u guys could think of a way i could channel my arguments?
thanks heaps

AJohnston1121

HSC
Have you dicussed it with your teacher? (Most teachers should be help keyword MOST)

I'am not to sure cause i don't have the actual sylabus on me but could you do like What if the Black Death didn't happen or something? Not sure just trying :)

waterfowl

HSC
teneale99 said:
...basically all hisotrians agree with the death toll, causes, effects (only with sloght indifferences)
Perhaps historians writing at the time had different views....eg, some may have thought it was punishment from God, others may have thought it was an attack.

Oh! I was watching a doco on SBS on one Sunday I think - it's a series on the development of the English language - it said that the black plague helped English to become the prominent language in England because the plague tended to kill more people who lived in close quarters (ie. all the monks, govt officials etc who spoke Latin and French).
So after the plague had gone, most of the people who were left were the poor Germanic tribes people who spoke primitive English, because they had lived in the country and in areas that weren't densley populated.

teneale99

HSC
Hey!! thanku soo much u have been a great help. that sounds like a really good angle..hey do u kno what the doco was called? thanks once again!!!! so what subject r u doin

teneale99

HSC
hey A johnson, i have spoken to my teacher just wanted 2 get a younger point of view thats all. thanks 4 ur help i will think bout that angle

veridis

droog
HSC
yeah i saw that doco too. The Aventure of English, melvin bragg i think. its pretty good

waterfowl

HSC
teneale99 said:
Hey!! thanku soo much u have been a great help. that sounds like a really good angle..hey do u kno what the doco was called? thanks once again!!!! so what subject r u doin

On TV program it is written as Lost World, and the series is called "The Adventure of English" by Melvyn Bragg, it is developed from a hardcover book by Bragg which I think can be bought at ABC shops or Dymocks (for $55.00!).

Episode two – January 16

The Norman invasion of 1066 relegated English from the primary language of the country to a poor third – after French, the tongue of the court, and Latin, the tongue of the church. This episode tells the story of its re-emergence. Through interbreeding, political change and cultural influence, English crept back, its rise assisted by sometimes quite unexpected factors like the Black Death. Three hundred years after the Conquest, an English king, Henry IV, finally makes a coronation speech in his “mother tongue” – Middle English. With Chaucer, literary English returns with a vengeance.
http://www.sbs.com.au/whatson/index.php3?id=910

http://www.maxwells.com.au/assets/pdfs/docos/Adventure_English.pdf

Hope this helps.
Ah it's lightning! Got to shut down, can't risk lightning stuffing up my already crappy PC.

Plebeian

I know almost nothing about the Black Death but a quick bit of research turned up a debate about whether bubonic plague was actually the cause of the massive epidemic. See this page at Wikipedia for more details, and maybe follow up on the references it mentions there.

waterfowl

HSC
teneale99 said:
so what subject r u doin
Last year I did "Emperor Friedrich III: man of Vision or Good Fortune?"

Basically looked at this guy's life, and explored wether he was a master visionary and did lots of great things, or he was just fortunate that his rivals died etc.
He was known by many titles, such as German King Friedrich V, Duke Friedrich IV - I'm still not entirely sure which ones are correct?!

teneale99

HSC
YOU GUYS ROCK

thanks hay....i talkd 2 my teacher bout that doco..n how the black death affected the english language etc
thats more focussing on england...thats a little later than the plague of 1348- which was in italy. so a little out of my area n time but still very valid im taking that angle and applying it to latin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)