• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ext english- HELP!! (1 Viewer)

Red_nut

HSC
I'm doing Frankenstein in ext eng at the moment.. and we've been concentrating on the concept of "the other" im sposed to write an essay analysing and investigating the concept of "the other" through five text.. i have no idea where to start!! and its due the first day back at school.. getting a little stressed. and if anyone has anything that could help me.. thankyou thankyou thankyou!!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
What exactly is an issue? Apart from "anything", as "the other" is not a state syllabus so I'm not sure what you want...

Tegz

HSC
it depends on what u mean by "the other" ...the outcast .. or the unknown.. or something completely different?

Red_nut

HSC
sorry i didnt realise its not like a common thing... yeh.. "the other" is talking about those marginalised by our society.. which would seem obvious.. being the creature and victor. but then we also have to bring in ideas from postcolonialism.. and "the noble savage.." and it just seems so different to how any other school have approached studying frankenstein.. so im so confused as to what they actually want us to write about in the essay.. (still havent started.. still no idea) damn you ext eng!!

Tegz

HSC
wow.. u really r studying frankenstein diff to us...
i would talk about how the characters whos POVs r presented r considered outcasts ie. walton, frankenstein, the creation. u cld also talk bout the foreign landscapes where most of the story takes place - escape from the "norm"
i wouldnt know where to start with postcolonialism.. we havnt done anything whatsoever on it.. im not even 100% what u mean by it...
"the noble savage" - victim of his own creator.. attempts to find n embrace the world and ppl as beautiful and pure only to be persecuted for his abhorred appearance

theres a heap more detail u cld go into.. just get a general idea n rave.. worked so far 4 me...

Tegz

HSC
hhmmm.. lucky u.. postcolonialism sounds *cough* gr8
i think i like the context that we are studying frankenstein better.. its soo much easier
all we hav to do so far *fingers crossed* is relate it back to the gothic genre and the sense of authorship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)