• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Eng Advanced vs Standard? (1 Viewer)

shiftyjc

HSC
Ive just started off year 11 in advanced english although i am still a little unsure of my decision to to with adv. I dont really like english too much, and i have a feeling that by staying in adv. motivation could be an issue down the track. Although i could probably safely cope in adv. i really have no interest whatsoever in shakespeare etc. I got high band 5 in SC eng and last yrs teacher told me to do adv.

so i was just wondering, in terms of my atar, would it be better to stay in the middle of my adv. class and possibly be less interested/motivated, or easily top standard (public school... nobody really gives a crap in std), and what would be the main differences in terms of scaling and things? Also, would it be possible for the cohort to bring my marks down? I'm a little clueless about it all >.<

Anything you guys could say is much appreciated, thanks in advance ^^

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Stick with Advanced, see how you fare during the year. There's always the option of dropping down if you're failing at it.

p3wner

HSC
I personally used to do standard English but i moved up to advance and from my view point advance is way harder but not 'hard' if you know what i mean, but I admit it would be more beneficial to stay in adv, but if your really finding adv English really hard get a tutor or drop to std if you really don't like doing English ( i would advise against). In terms of scaling std and adv scale about the same not much of a big difference (only like and 1 or 2 marks more but 1 mark is a LOT if you know what i mean.)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Standard and Advanced scale the same; the thing is that they align differently making it relatively more difficult to do well in Standard as opposed to Advanced.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Motivation will be a problem in Standard as well, and in Standard you have the extra disadvantage of being in a class with all the other Standard people. I did Standard because I hate English, and in hindsight I should have chosen Advanced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)