• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Eeepp.. BOW... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Is anyone from Year 12 2012 scared about your body of works? What are you doing? I toss between two ideas. Thoughts are much appreciated.

1. About Depression - three panels of canvases, each having a ‘stage’ of suicide. First panel is ‘safe’, a distorted monster/demon in a cage, sleeping, the stage is when you don’t think about it. Second, is ‘danger’ where the demon/monster is awake and rattling the game, the stage where you are planning and thinking about it. The third panel is ‘gone’ where the cage is empty, you done the action. The meaning behind the artwork is my own personal dealings with depression and suicide, and how these monsters/demons relate to this.

2. About identity - paintings and photographs. The paintings are symbolic, symbols that relate to me. There is a small painting of me, standing, looking straight ahead while there are symbols of me, who I am, my sense of identity. Around the artwork, there are photos of me, different faces, me holding a board about quotes that mean something to me.

Deep Blue

HSC
Stay away from cliche themes such as self-identity and awareness, adolescence, belonging etc. They don't get good marks. The depression idea sounds better but again be cautious of where you take it because it happens that you personal feelings towards the subject matter distort what your perception of the work, giving yourself the impression that it is better than it is. Doesn't always happen but just something to be aware of.

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
don't do depression bro, period
monster idea sounds very promising purely presentation wise, but relate it to something else... get your concept approved by all of the visual arts staff.

Vidhya

HSC
However cliche it might sound, it is the execution of the idea that will get you the marks. If this concept is something close to you, then keep it, because concept is just the base of an artwork. The monster idea sounds like an okay start, but I suggest that over this term, you research various artists and styles (AS MANY AS YOU CAN, literally become a parasite to your art library). Once you look at various artworks, you will be inspired to improve the representation of your concept, and your idea maybe completely different to what it is now, even though it will still retain the concept of depression.
For example, my friend's concept was how she adapted to Australia when she came from overseas. It sounds cliche, and initially, she was worried that it was too boring as well. But she developed her ideas, and the final product was unbelievably incredible. We are predicting 50/50 for her.
So the most important thing is developing your ideas through practice, sketches, talking to others and RESEARCH. Good luck! :)

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
Well you can do it if you wish, but at the end of the day your BOW translates into a mark, my teacher is a marker and has been for decades and told us what the markers like/don't like/expect etc. Depression is a very very very trodden theme, as important as it may be to you you can't expect them to relate after being drowned with terrible "boohoo" artworks. But yeah, it's still attainable, go for it if you wish, just don't have a flat purely-depression concept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)