• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (14 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
BradCube said:
We have 3 options when addressing the person and nature of Christ.
What Enteebee said. Three relatively obvious options:

(1) JC existed but much of what is written about him, and his actions, is fictional or exagerated
(2) JC never existed
(3) The story of JC is really just a parable in which it is the underlying concepts that are important, not the historicity of the people/events [a possible extension of (1) or (2)]

HalcyonSky

HSC
BradCube said:
The bible itself has been shown to be astoundingly accurate in its records of history. Archeological digs and excavations has only confirmed what has been recorded in the bible. Any points where you feel evidence points away from current historical findings would certainly be worth our discussion :)
reading the bible as a historical document is a nightmare :\ where do u get these opinions from

BradCube

HSC
3unitz said:
are there any credible sources other then the bible on jesus/ how he died/ disciples? i believe lewis is correct with these points as long as the bible is correct with how it portrays jesus. i could say the bourne identity is astoundingly accurate in describing geographic locations/ government agencies /weapons etc but this doesnt mean its accurate in portraying jason bourne, if he ever existed.
Glad to see that the points quoted make sense. I probably should have mentioned that I was basing this line of thought on how the bible portrays Christ before placing the points forward. This reasoning of course does nothing in relation to the points that both Kfunk and Enteebee brought up.

I'm pretty sure there are other sources from the lighter reading I have done on the topic. However, I have another book sitting and waiting for me to get through (plus frontiers of complexity and another that I have just been given!). I feel that I will be able to give you a far better and comprehensive answer once I'm through that. Too many books, far too little time :p

As a side note I found an interesting page on Wiki tonight. Haven't read through much of it yet, but I'm hoping to get through it by the time tonight is out. I don't really know if it takes a particular stance on the subject but others may find it interesting like I did :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_history

EDIT*: Also linked from that page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

Last edited:

bigneh

HSC
GOD EXISTS because it is said so in the Bible..

And the bible is correct because it is the word of God..

And we can take this word of God as fact because we know he exists because the bible said so..

And the bible is correct because it is the word of god..

^ Best argument for Christians

bigneh

HSC
Its a quote, and its refering to man made religions (all of them).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
kaz1 said:
if you wish for something really bad
the person you are asking is god
Warning: massive amounts of fail detected.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Oh, and while I'm in the mood, a brief stab at organised religion. I can't believe this site exists:

Make your own Habu the confused polytheist action figure. Habu has so many false gods that even he can't remember them all! He would dearly love to simplifiy his life with Jesus, but he lives too far away to hear the Good News. Help Lambuel go on a mission to save Habu!

Coming soon: Island of Polythesia playset with hut, various shatterable idols, and missionary gear for Lambuel!

Requires: 1 sheet of paper or card stock, scissors, hobby knife*, scoring tool, glue.

Make your own Mr. Gruff the Atheist goat. Children can keep him on their desks and practice witnessing techniques on him in between homework. Mr. Gruff comes with a coffee mug that he can hold. (Do not use mug with Lambuel figure. Lambuel thinks coffee is yucky!)

Coming soon: Disheveled Front Yard playset and Darbucks Coffee Den of Iniquity playset!

Make your own Ruby the lioness. Ruby loves her cute dress and bow, but most of all she loves Jesus and Lambuel! Girls can play house with her while waiting for Lambuel to come home from his adventures.

Coming soon: Kitchen and Wedding Day playsets!

Make a nail just like the ones used by the Romans to crucify Our Lord. A thought-provoking project that will impress upon your children the suffering that Jesus went through on their behalf. Makes a great Christmas ornament!

Caution: Pointy edges. Not for children under 5.
Taken from objectiveministries.org ... Viral theism at its best.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
I watched a documentary yesterday, it was hilarious. Basically it was about teenagers, and the tagline was "they're looking for faith and you won't like where they're looking, satanism and vampirism!"

And then it was just a bunch of kids wearing black and calling themselves satanists, whilst denouncing violence and death and admitting they don't even believe in Satan.

All in all it was very tame.

boris

Banned
HSC
Make a nail just like the ones used by the Romans to crucify Our Lord. A thought-provoking project that will impress upon your children the suffering that Jesus went through on their behalf. Makes a great Christmas ornament!

Caution: Pointy edges. Not for children under 5.
Hahahaha.

I think I have worked out why I am so pissed about this World Youth Day thing.

HSC
KFunk, that's actually just a parody of Christian fundamentalism. :p It does an exceedingly good job.

Edit-
From the 4Kidz section:

Spiritual Safety Tip

What should you do if you find an Atheist?

If you find an Atheist in your neighborhood,
TELL A PARENT OR PASTOR RIGHT AWAY!

You may be moved to try and witness to
these poor lost souls yourself, however
AVOID TALKING TO THEM!

Atheists are often very grumpy and bitter and will lash out at children or they may even try to trick you into neglecting God's Word.

Very advanced witnessing techniques are needed for these grouches. Let the adults handle them.
XD

Last edited:

bigneh

HSC
I believe that yes we do need a God.
Believing that we need some celestial bully doesnt mean he exists

I know he has been a massive help in my life
Good for you, Vile stories often help me in life aswell.

i think to rely on humanity alone is extremely tough.
Albert Einstein "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

I think that every one needs God.
Have some respect for humanity and yourself.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
veloc1ty said:
KFunk, that's actually just a parody of Christian fundamentalism. :p It does an exceedingly good job.

Haha, I'd often wondered whether it was genuine or not (just today my sister said something to the tune of "surely it can't be for real..."). Is there any source showing it up as a parody or do people just assume it on the basis of its absurdity?

danlan

HSC
Maybe God does exist, so do other deities.
The amount and purity of people's faith is the source of deities' power and holiness?
Got the idea from Drangon & Dungeons.

I think monotheism is good for building up "absolute" values, it has positive as well as negative aspects.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)