• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do you think rodeos should be banned? (1 Viewer)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
whats the point? you need skills to ride on wild cows/bulls..whatever they use.. to be a farmer? i don't think so...cruelty or not, i just find it pointless, it's not entertaining at all.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
sparkl3z said:
whats the point? you need skills to ride on wild cows/bulls..whatever they use.. to be a farmer? i don't think so...cruelty or not, i just find it pointless, it's not entertaining at all.

Actually you do need skills to be a successful rodeo rider. And there is such a sthing as 'breaking' a horse in. It involves getting on the back of a horse and managing to stay the hell on there despite the horses best attempts to convince you otherwise. If you knew your Aussie history you'd know that Breaker Morant was so named because of his skill in that area.
Barrel racing is again another competition that shows the skills of the rider and horse together. Why don't we just following your line of thinking and ban car racing, motorbike racing, the Sydney to Hobart yacht race etc.
Oh, and farming does take some skill. Trust me, my old man once told me I'd never make a farmer, and I was raised on a farm. I know people who for some unexplainable reason are almost useless on a farm and some people who seem to know what they are doing like they are born to it. Don't ask me the skills involved though, because, not possessing them myself, I have no idea exactly what they are. If farming were so easy, wouldn't every one be flocking to the industry?

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
jesscookie said:
I see there that you are trying to say that a rodeo horse is not important to its owner? if you have ever owned a horse, i think you would see the stupidity in that statement.
No, actually the only stupidity that I see stems from your statement that rodeos are an essential element of rural life. Sorry, but that isn't true. I mean, not having rodeos doesn't deprive people of food, or shelter or anything like that. Don't try to glorify rodeos. They are no different from people going out. Going out and rodeos are just 'fun' things to do to pass time. They are in no way essential to sustaining 'life.' My statement wasn't even an argument, it was a conclusion which is logically drawn from the context. Besides, your comment about stupidity is rather senseless considering that I have never owned a horse before. It would be like me going up to someone who failed year 7 maths and saying 'if you had a deep understanding of analysis, you would see the stupidity in asking for a series expansion of f(x) = sqrt(x) about x = 0.'

Edit: And to the people who can't read consider the following quote:

sparkl3z said:
you need skills to ride on wild cows/bulls..whatever they use.. to be a farmer? i don't think so.
She questioned the relation between farming, and the skill required to ride on bulls/cows. NOT, on whether or not it takes skill to ride cows/bulls. If people actually took the time to read other people's posts, then there'd be a lot less need for long discussions.

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Benny1103 said:
No, actually the only stupidity that I see stems from your statement that rodeos are an essential element of rural life. Sorry, but that isn't true.'
Country folk need somewhere to pick-up their attractive cousins :confused:

X

xeuyrawp

GoodSirLancelot said:
Yes, especially the horse rodeos. They put the girth in the wrong place to make the horse buck which hurts the horse. :(
If you're against that, you'd be against horse racing:
- chocking the horses' knees, so their generations of inbreeding resulting in wonky knees don't hurt their speed,
- putting them in warehouses that have artificial light (so 'seasons' can be altered to make good wake up/sleep and breed at good times)
-putting them on soft rubber floors so their legs get stronger, whilst their knee joints become used to soft floors and sustain serious injury when they walk on real ground,
- pumping them with food that is meant only to increase oxygen-retention in their muscles, so they can run fast,
- after retirement, they're forced into breeding programs which pump out as many yearlings as possible,
- after all these conditions result in a stressed, malnourished, arthritic horse, the horse will usually be shot after it can't stand up one morning. Hopefully, its child can be ripped from it in a c-section.

Generally, all this equates to a horse that lives about one fifth the time of any well looked-after horse, ie a dressage, show jumping, or polo horse.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
They have rodeos for kids.

They replace horses with sheep.

Now that I believe is wrong :(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Rodeos are fine, the rights of the sentient trump those of the animals.

Besides, why would you ride horses when there are so many better uses for them?

Post inspired by brogan.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)