• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Do I need originality in my themes to hit A range? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
I know English teachers emphasize forming your own opinions, but basically all the essays I've written for Mod A (FrankenRunner) sound like the same old song and dance. Science this, playing God that, some immorality here and there.

I haven't got results back for Mod A yet, and I have an upcoming half-yearly. Should I seek to memorize quotes and techniques that are 'outside the box' or just stick with the vanilla and really nail the analysis + answer the question?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
To hit the A range, you must answer the question. It's often better to use uncommon quotes, but if you can't articulate or argue your new and out-there themes, I definitely think it's better to stick to the pre-established themes. TBH, this text has been used ~6 years and its going to be a miracle if someone finds anything new in it because it has been done for so long.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
it's more about how you express your points and exploring things in a more effective way

for frankenrunner for example, so many people doing bladerunner focus so much on the replicants they barely explore deckard at all despite the fact he is the protagonist of the film

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Originality depends on how well you integrate these two texts and how well you express your ideas, you can't go searching for obscure themes because then you are not maintaining textual integrity in your analysis-which is fundamental to getting a good mark, answer the question as closely as possible and answer nothing but the question to ensure you secure yourself the best marks possible.

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
In order of priority:

1. Answer the question
2. Back up your answer
3. Add something new to discussion

Original thought is important, but it's also hard to summon under examination conditions. Plus, you're in high school. Chances are even your most out-there ideas have already been put through the wringer by the broader academic community. So try your best, but don't beat yourself up over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)