• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

distance ed- scaling (1 Viewer)

HSC123

HSC
I was wondering if doing distance ed for one subject had any impact on your mark for that course. I have heard that distance ed gets scaled up but didnt know whether to believe it. I do legal studies through distance ed.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Well, when the marks are calculated for DE subjects, your cohort is the rest of the DE 'class'. Other than that there's no difference AFAIK. Not scaled differently, just assessment marks are moderated against the other DE students.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
HSC123 said:
I was wondering if doing distance ed for one subject had any impact on your mark for that course. I have heard that distance ed gets scaled up but didnt know whether to believe it. I do legal studies through distance ed.
Your HSC exam mark would be adjusted just the same as everyone else. Not advantage, no disadvantage.

I'm not sure what would happen with your internal assessment mark, either,
(a) You do not do an internal assessment and your HSC mark is based solely on your exam mark (normally its the average of your exam and internal assessment mark), or,

(b) You get given the same internal assessments and marked the same as everyone else doing the subject through the same distance ed institution. In this case your internal assessment mark will be moderated just the same as if you were at a school with the other people doing the distance ed course at the same institution.

I don't know who told you that just because you do a course through distance ed it gets "scaled up" but I would be very surprised if they adjust your marks differently.

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
me121 said:
Your HSC exam mark would be adjusted just the same as everyone else. Not advantage, no disadvantage.

I'm not sure what would happen with your internal assessment mark, either,
(a) You do not do an internal assessment and your HSC mark is based solely on your exam mark (normally its the average of your exam and internal assessment mark), or,

(b) You get given the same internal assessments and marked the same as everyone else doing the subject through the same distance ed institution. In this case your internal assessment mark will be moderated just the same as if you were at a school with the other people doing the distance ed course at the same institution.

I don't know who told you that just because you do a course through distance ed it gets "scaled up" but I would be very surprised if they adjust your marks differently.

Me121 is right about b... well that's what happened to my Indonesian Assessment Mark last year and I did that through distance ed.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
ajdlinux said:
Well, when the marks are calculated for DE subjects, your cohort is the rest of the DE 'class'. Other than that there's no difference AFAIK. Not scaled differently, just assessment marks are moderated against the other DE students.
What if you're the only one?
My rank in Food Tech DE is 1/0 ...

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Well that would make it 1/1 if you are the only person doing distance ed at the same base centre. In this case, your assessment mark pretty much means nothing and you just get your exam mark.

I think...

cs01001

HSC
Caitlin63 said:
Well that would make it 1/1 if you are the only person doing distance ed at the same base centre. In this case, your assessment mark pretty much means nothing and you just get your exam mark.

I think...
Pretty much what you get in the exam means what you get as your HSC Mark. I supose you can bludge all year and kill the final exam, lol :p

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Without Wings said:
It works like b.
So for example if a student did economics through SDEHS they would do the same assessment tasks as other students completing the course through SDEHS. The final rank would reflect the student's position in the group (undertaking economics at SDEHS).
Yes but either is valid. Say you did a course through distance education with a personal tutor, you would not be given internal assessments and would be in case (a).

I guess you could say that in this case you are not doing distance education as you are not learning it through a Board registered school.

cs01001 said:
Pretty much what you get in the exam means what you get as your HSC Mark. I supose you can bludge all year and kill the final exam, lol :p
Yes you can bludge all you want, but you still need to do the internal assessment and make a serious attempt otherwise you may get an N award, and hence not get a HSC mark. But they must warn you if you are in danger of getting an N award first.

Regardless of this would would still want to study for tests and try to do your best as this would help you for your hsc exam.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)