• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Didn't get into my desired course HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Katharine040787

HSC
In 2006 I deferred B Arts/B Edu at UNSW. I decided during my year off that I no longer wanted to do this course so when I reapplied, I put B Arts as my first preference. Now the main round offers have come out and I didn't get into B Arts! I'm freaking out - I don't want to do teaching!

Just wondering what my options are now? I'm guessing I see what happens with the late round offers because there's still a chance I could get a place in B Arts, but what if I don't? The UAI cutoff was 80.00 and I got 78.05 in the 2005 HSC.

I don't know how transfers work or anything. If I miss out in the late round and I have to do Arts/Edu, how soon can I transfer to Arts?

Thanks for any help!

tennille

HSC
I'm not 100% sure about this, but can't you just study arts/edu for a semester (or maybe a year) and just drop the education part of your degree off so you're just in arts? Anyone else know if you can do this (for this particular degree anyway)? I had a friend who did science/commerce, and manage to drop the science part of the degree after a semester.

Or

If it's like usyd, you only do a certain amount of years at uni that will allow you to achieve just a B arts. At usyd, this is after 3 years, but the arts/edu degree is 5 years there (not four years).

Maybe contact the faculty of arts or education to find out what you can do.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
ok for a start, accept the arts/edu.. get your ass into the uni first then muck around with program.

what i would do is (if you cant get straight BA in the late round) is enrol in arts/edu but ONLY do uni courses that you would have done, had you gotten in the straight arts program.

after one year do an internal program transfer:
http://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/common/forms/faculty/int_prog_xfer.pdf

if that blows up (i'd be seriously surprised if they didn't let you let go of edu)

apply through uac for 2008 entry to BA, using your uni marks i'd say you'd need about a 4.5 GPA to be guaranteed a spot in straight BA

using one of the 2 methods above should have worked, and in 2nd year it would be as if you did not 'waste' any course credits such as crappy edu psych

gl

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Actually that reminds me....how exactly do you calculate GPA for UNSW? Every site that i've gone to practically uses different terms...

Katharine040787

HSC
So once I am able to transfer, either internally or through UAC, do I then begin the Arts course as though it is my first year?

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
cheers Minai:)

No, if its internal u should be able to transfer ur credits of courses into ur B Arts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)