• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Didnt get an oral health interview, so what now ? (1 Viewer)

carpenters1

HSC
Hey guys, im just so devastated that i havent been offered an interview for oral health because i really couldn't see myself doing anything else, so now im questioning even going to uni because im just not interested in the other courses. Could anyone help me, as in ex students etc that also didn't get that all important interview; what are you doing now ? did you eventually get into dentistry, did you take a completely different path? i just need some perspective on where to turn, as i didnt plan for a life without oral health :(

thankss

stef

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
im not an ex student, but i think you should consider taking up another course and transferring. It would help if the course you chose had a sciency background, but i guess its not an absolute neccessity. This is because it prepares you for postgraduate dent better, ie gamsat. Also if you have a vague interest in a course, it helps as youll probably get a better gpa allowing for a better chance of a transfer/postgrad entry. Also there are other oral health courses interstate (im assuming youre not in nsw), so you should check to see if you qualified or are likely to qualify to any of those.

You should go to uni - just because you didnt get the interiew doesnt mean its the end of the world!

perhaps you should read up on medstudentsonline or something; good luck!

ha$$

HSC
Sorry to hear u didnt get an interview at usyd. But u can apply to do the B Oral Health at Uni of Newcastle..it requires no PQA or interview so u probably have a good chance of getting in.

sachu

HSC
Arhh..so sorry to hear it..but guess what..? I'm on the same boat as u...i did my PQA and didn't get invited for an interview..i was as well relying on it..so much an preety much right feel the same as u..HOPELESS.........what are you considering now?

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
Arhh..so sorry to hear it..but guess what..? I'm on the same boat as u...i did my PQA and didn't get invited for an interview..i was as well relying on it..so much an preety much right feel the same as u..HOPELESS.........what are you considering now?
lol you didn't reply to the other thread bro.

regardless of what atar you get, if you didn't get an interview, you can't get into the course.

i wonder how many people of all that did the PQA actually got interviews.

@ OP: are you hoping to get into dentistry? fun fact: in the past 5 years only 2 people doing BOH actually got into dentistry. true story. a faculty member actually told me that at the interview.
you can try med science, health science etc.
with dentistry you can do anything for undergrad study, it's just the GAMSAT you need to get through.

Last edited:

sachu

HSC
Yeah.. I would had figures that out by noww.......thats what making me hopeless.....i m sure there are other ways I can achieve my aim..

regardless of what atar you get, if you didn't get an interview, you can't get into the course.

@ OP: are you hoping to get into dentistry? fun fact: in the past 5 years only 2 people doing BOH actually got into dentistry. true story. a faculty member actually told me that at the interview.
with dentistry you can do anything for undergrad study, it's just the GAMSAT you need to get through.

sachu

HSC

lol booohoooo its not like you missed out on an interview for dentistry. Stop wingeing about oral health, frankly be happy you missed out because had you not, you would have been a dentist's bitch/slave cleaning peoples teeth etc IT IS NOT FUKING WORTH IT BE GLAD
Haha...Surprisingly, your comments make me feel so much better...after all those days of depression..haha...thanks mate for your honest comments :)

sachu

HSC
if your into health consider pharmacy or physio or optom far more worthwhile professions when compared to oral health lol

edit: give me rep please:)

yeah, I would only if my ATAR had allowed me to....I'm so embarassed to even announce my ATAR.....when I had such high expectation...feels like my world of opportunities is doomed.........:cold:

boxhunter91

HSC
Why not go for med science?
It is my second choice.
It's a great way to get into dentistry.
I did get offer for an interview for Oral Health after my PQA (I thought i went so bad in that exam.
Do you guys think 91.65 could get me a spot at Oral Health.
And for those comments regarding being a dentists 'bitch'. Who gives a shit. It's a great profession and its well paying. provides you experience and is probably the best method to getting into USYD dentistry.

boxhunter91

HSC
At the interviews i spoke to the lecturers from the faculty of dentistry all having doctorates and they all were saying its a very prevalent choice. obviously they do recommend to continue onto dentistry but still that profession i do believe is a great choice for the future.
I checked the cut off i think its 72.55.
Im just worried because of the other applicants who have finished HSC long before me..
And besides if i do get accepted and finish the Oral Health course i got a job already lined up for me.

carpenters1

HSC
hi guys,

can i just start by saying to the person who said i should be glad i didnt get into oral health, GET OFF MY THREAD seriously, go rain on someone elses parade, because a degree is a degree and job is a job, if its your passion then do it LAY OFF US buddy, you seriously have a screw loose.

to sachu. my second preference which is now my first is bachelor of science at UTS and bachelor of medical science at UTS only because the sciences at Sydney uni apart from oral health and veterinary science. didnt interest me.. so glad to hear your like me though, what are you considering now ??

houseah0lic i also heard that little fun fact so yes maybe it is a good thing as i was using oral health as a stepping stone for dentistry MAINLY because if i didnt do so well in the GAMSAT test then i could actually be qualified for a JOB until i applied for the GAMSAT the following year.

everyone please let me know what you're considering to do now that our dreams of being together as oral health technicians are shot to hell :p

cute little family we have here

love

xx

boredusb

HSC
THANK GOD U MISSED OUT

a dental assistant has to hold his/her hand in one position for 40 mins, it is a very tiring job

seriously a bachelor of oral health will not help u pass gamsat

juts do med science

a bachelor of oral health will take u no where and being an assistant is something u never wanna be, in any field

hkx92

HSC
N/A
thats exactly right BOH will NOT help you pass GAMSAT.

there is no chem or phys at all in the degree.

hkx92

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, im just so devastated that i havent been offered an interview for oral health because i really couldn't see myself doing anything else, so now im questioning even going to uni because im just not interested in the other courses. Could anyone help me, as in ex students etc that also didn't get that all important interview; what are you doing now ? did you eventually get into dentistry, did you take a completely different path? i just need some perspective on where to turn, as i didnt plan for a life without oral health :(

thankss

stef
dont worry i just put this in another post but this may make you feel better.
Of the 26 ppl that graduated from BOH last year 10 did GAMSAT, only 1 got an interview for dent, he got in.. although it will be his 3rd degree... i think only one other BOH graduate EVER got into a graduate dent.

have only heard of 2 other people who got into dent from boh, one went to Adelaide the other to CSU (an ex jrahs student not that it matters).

boxhunter91

HSC
Nah not yet houseaholic you?
They did say the 20th.
Btw what was your ATAR and PQA Scores?

boxhunter91

HSC
I got 91.65 ATAR.
From PQA i only remember the first section /48. Got 33.
Dam that was so hard!

boxhunter91

HSC
Haha i guessed so many of them :)
Wonder if i saw you at the interviews...
I was on first day 11:45

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)