• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Diagram type CASE tools (1 Viewer)

Cotlone

I was just wondering how other people do their software diagrams. I talking about things like flowcharts, context diagrams, dataflow diagrams, system flowchart etc. Disregarding the legality of the software, which programs are you all using?
I use SmartDraw 6.51 and find it has the potential of providing me with not only all the symbols, adequate, linking and naming methods by has about 50000 symbols which are downloaded as you need them. It proves handy for chemistry equipment diagrams and electrical circuits and a plethora of other stuff too.

raymes

HSC
i love 'edge diagrammer' - its simple to use and will solve all your chart needs

ive heard good things about smartdraw, its probably the best out there but this program does everything i need to do really nicely so ill stick with it for now

Cotlone

Yeah sounds pretty good, the only thing with SD6 is that it is so goddamn big. Not the physical size of the program, I mean its functions are so numerous that it can seem overwhelming to a new user. Though i guess thats the same with any good program isnt it.

raymes

HSC
yes and no - good programs will have a shallow learning curve but nonetheless, if power is all ur interested in then taking the extra time to learn new software is fine

then you can start looking at productivity...

Winston

HSC
I used Visio 2k3 and Project 2k3, for most of my CASE tools.

raymes

HSC
yes and no
it might have for 1 or 2 small diagrams
but 1) if u ever had to alter that diagram, it would be a bitch since there is no linking mechanism and 2) it would have taken much longer to produce since you have to produce a text box to accompany every autoshape (and set appropriate attributes) and if you every want to move something around, you have to extend arrows, etc, etc....then you have the problem of aligning everything...

there are considerable time savings (even for SDD students) in getting proper diagramming software (even if it is only shareware or something)

J0n

N/A
HSC
I used Word too, because our diagrams had to be readable by the teacher, and the school computer, and all our computers pretty much only have office. I used to use SmartDraw for electronics in Yr 10, since you can't really draw circut diagrams very easily in Word.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)