• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Defining moments of uni (1 Viewer)

S

Shuter

I believe the reason is so that a peircing is one is actually able to be immediatly seen/disintegrate. If it was thinker gloves, holes could be there without notice.

Skeeta

HSC
in my lab class, watching my tutorial pick up a head upside down (with only one glove on) Asking the teacher to please put 2 gloves on coz it was stressing me out, and then watch embalming fluid drip out of the cavaders nose

not nice

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Well the gloves aren't very thick, and you can feel all macrotextures through them. It's not like wearing leather gloves or those thinsulate monstrosities. :p

lol.. when I was in Switzerland I bought a pair of those 'thinsulate monstrosities'.. my uncle called them 'handshoes' i thought that was soo cute

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
withoutaface said:
But if you're using scalpels etc, wouldn't a cut in one generally go through both?
No this is only for handling predissected material. When actually dissecting you have these thick "high risk" gloves. Even then there's a risk of incision, penetration...but you just learn to be careful. :)

X

xeuyrawp

Lexicographer said:
No this is only for handling predissected material. When actually dissecting you have these thick "high risk" gloves. Even then there's a risk of incision, penetration...but you just learn to be careful. :)
Is that thing in your avatar real?

Edit: http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijd/vol1n1/harlequin.xml, wow, I learnt to use google.

I have to say, I am always pretty ok with gross things, I saw open heart surgery, and two autopsies, but the couple of websites that I saw on that defect actually made me gag.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
I'm as curious, tho it looks fake since lexi is a med guy it might be real :S
It is real. It's simpler than it looks, apparently.

Just a malfunction with the skin which causes it to harden. The hard parts crack and split open (hence the red bits), and the child dies from not being able to swallow and use his mouth. Causes linked to parents with Psoriasis and other skin diseases.

I'm still trying not to gag. I can't believe I found something that freaks me out. Most disturbing thing I've ever seen. The second thing is an equally disturbing picture that I'll probably have to reserve for PMs and special requests, rather than putting it on this board.

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
According to the website I visited "It is normally fatal in the first few days of life", you mean that they can live for a couple of days?!
Apparently. I think they kept it alive through its umbilical cord.

These kinds of scientific medicine reports remind me a lot of Law writing...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes it is real. My cousin (UTas Med III) and I were talking about Embryology this morning (I was studying for tomorrow's exam) and he said the picture of harlequin fetus in his text still haunts him.

So I looked it up.

To be honest I wasn't disturbed by it at all. Maybe I'm far too desensitised for a first year? I showed it to a girl in my course and she was shocked, but she told me it was because she made the immediate leap to "what would you tell the mother of this baby" - one I didn't dream to consider. I'm still not at all uncomfortable with this (or really any) kind of image, but I guess I'm just a bit funny like that.

Here's the entire fetus: Image removed in consideration of the squemish, click to view.

X

xeuyrawp

Lexicographer said:
Showed it to a girl in my course and she was shocked, but she told me it was because she made the immediate leap to "what would you tell the mother of this baby" - one I didn't dream to consider.
That was probably why it shocked me... also because of its appearence. At first, it looks extremely mutated or something, when it's just very dried skin. Although it seems in that case, it was the father (with the case of psoriasis) that is to cop most of the mental anguish....

Edit: you want to see the most warped medical picture? I'll have to dig it up again.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lexiographer can u plz remove your avatar... just because your not squemish doesn't mean that we all arn't... can u plz out of the consideration for the rest of us... take it off

X

xeuyrawp

clairegirl said:
lexiographer can u plz remove your avatar... just because your not squemish doesn't mean that we all arn't... can u plz out of the consideration for the rest of us... take it off
It's also in violation of copyright! hehe, yeh it is pretty nasty. The heart I could cope with, but that baby just keeps looking at me.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hehe...there is no "most warped". And this morning I saw a photo of a woman in Brazil who had been strangled and mutilated as part of a "black magic" ceremony (removal of the breasts, exposure of the abdominal viscera etc).

It'll take a lot to get to me.

Re: "it looks fake"
Reality will always be stranger and more shocking than anything we can imagine.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
ok fine u dont have to take it off

does anyone know how to block certain people's posts?

X

xeuyrawp

Lexicographer said:
Hehe...there is no "most warped"
Oh, just you wait. This one I found (although I think it's more warped than the harlequin, it had no real effect on me) is a picture of a youngish boy's groin. He's lying on an operating table with one tube going in about 3 inches left of the penis, and one on the right- symmetrical, with red fluid going in or out. He's got this other tube going in the tip of his penis. Stiches everywhere.

X

xeuyrawp

clairegirl said:
i think i fought with lexiographer a while ago and he blocked my posts... arrgh i wish i knew how to do that!
1. He's a nice guy and wouldn't block anyone.
2. I don't think it would be ethical for the mod to block anyone.

If you're keen- you click on their profile.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
1. He's a nice guy and wouldn't block anyone. to you maybe, he wasnt when i was forum fighting with him lol
2. I don't think it would be ethical for the mod to block anyone. true

If you're keen- you click on their profile .. shall do depends if he keeps his avatar tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)