• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

David Eddings Pawn of Prophecy (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
Im reading this new trilogy book ,
and im asking
1. Is it worth reading the whole thing , if so why
2. How many books in the trilogy?
3. To congradulate me Im reading a chapter a day ( that very good considering the lazy person i am)

is a roflcopter
HSC
its a 5 book thing
and theres another 5 called the mallorean or someshit after it

its just about the best fucken fantasy series i've ever read

i remember i picked up book 3 randomly in year 5 and it was so bloody good

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
omd... i was conned into reading this in year 7.
if you don't like fantasy, put the book down. now.
eddings takes 500 pages to introduce five characters. and he calls it a book called "pawn of prophecy". ridiculous.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
The book, and all his works are fantastic. There's 5 in that series, 5 in the mallorean. Then there's belgarath the sorcerer and polgara the sorceress (read them after the 2 series).
He's written 2 other seires too, and they're also quite good. The Elenium and the Tamuli.
Eddings rocks! :D

J

jhakka

The series is really enjoyable. Both serieses. I read them for the third time, last year.

The only problem I have is that the plot is a tad two dimensional.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Eddings ROCKS!

Theres the Belgariad, then the Mallorean, in that series there is also the Rivan Codex and Polgara the Sorceress and Belgarath the Sorcerer books. I've read all of the belgariad and the 2 polgrara and belagarath books (which i own), i havent yet finished the mallorean becuase i know how it ends already so i ermm got lazy :D

I love the Sparhawk series tho, the Elenium and Tamuli. Both great sets of books which i continuously read over and over again :D (when i can find them at the library)

The Redemption of Althalus, im not too sure about. I've read losers and its oki... but meh.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
the elenium is the worst series I have ever read.

Well, it ends VERY badly.

I remember thinking, hey, Sparhawks dead now.

then, wtf, last two pages: Sparhawk is somehow the son of that rose thing, and more powerful than any god, and wtf, next thing you know, he isn't human anymore, he is sending out some magic thingy majgies to chip at a real gods magical defences, and then he takes out his sword and chops the god in two.

WTF, who the hell thought that was good?

but I liked Pawn of prophect, its more realistic than the elenium. The one thing I can't stand in fantasy is unrealistic endings/fights. i mean, yeah, fantasy IS unrealistic, but there is realistic fantasy that actually suspends disbelief in the reader, and then there is the elenium type. hrmph

billbro

HSC
N/A
Haven't read it but I probably should pick it up, only book I've read from him is 'The Elder Gods'. I haven't been bothered to read other pieces of his works although he is a great fantasy author.

Timmay

HSC
best fantasy series ever? pssh, its pretty juvenile, u seem to spend more time reading about how they unpack their cooking gear and porridge than u do about the big final battle (such an anticlimax) if u want to read a really great fantasy series read the dark tower series by steven king (no its not horror but its awesome) THe only thing i think that Belgariad has going for it is u build up great relationships with the characters, it'd be better if he killed or mutilated a fear of them to force a tear.

Eeko

Banned
edding's pretty good at the beginning but his style jus gets so mundane

keeps cracking the same jokes until it seems lame.

plot wise, there really isn't that much twist once u really get down to it.

the elder gods was good in the first few chapters. but at the end it isn't that gr8.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Anyone who says the word "great" as "gr8" doesn't have the right to critisize any author. :p

mayhemily

HSC
well, I think eddings is fantastic if you want a light enjoyable read. I've enjoyed everything i've read of his which is most of the books (i think) I thought 'The elder gods' was disapointing though, read about a quarter, got bored and haven't came back to it.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Watch, and be amazed, as you witness my amazing "I don't give a shit" powers. I've got better things to do then spend all my time posting on a school board. :rolleyes:

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by great_gregory
I've got better things to do then spend my time posting on a school board. :rolleyes:

Eeko

Banned
Originally posted by great_gregory
Watch, and be amazed, as you witness my amazing "I don't give a shit" powers. I've got better things to do then spend all my time posting on a school board. :rolleyes:
f00l

veriante

HSC
I love Eddings. I fell in love with his writing when I was in year 7 and have regularly read them. I'm not a big fan of a writing style like his but I do enjoy the plot and I put the books down with satisfaction, which is more than what I can say for some books. Also, I find that his characters are fantastic. Especially Silk. He creates characters that are realistic and can exist...except perhaps for the magical powers and etc. And his characters are never inconsistent, giving confidence to the reader that he knows what he's talking about. Anyway...he's fantastic...if you like fantasy. If you don't, don't read him and don't criticise him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)