• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

cutoff for law (1 Viewer)

nevmirza

Premium Member
HSC
hey..

i got a 2007 UAI of 93.55, however the course i want to do..busniess admin/law has a cut off of 93.50.

what are the chances of me making this course with my UAI???

thanks in advance for any help.

doink

Clone
HSC
It all depends on who applies with what UAI, the cut-off may be lower or higher. The way i see it is that they have a certain amount of places for each course (say 100 for arguments sake) and they take the candidates with the top 100 UAI's and the person with the lowest uai becomes the cut-off.

hannahxxx

HSC
I hope it's lower this yr....my prediction is that it's going to rise.....but all the same i hope it's lower. If you don't get in nevmirza transfering is always an option

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I would put it down (because you never know, people may be let in if they are just under or the cutoff might drop) and then have your fall backs such as UWS law or MQ B Bus Admin and then transfer.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I would put that first pref if that's your most desired course. Have B Bus Admin up there as well, because you can transfer to law after your second year (you have to go through the waiver process etc. to do the first year law units)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
yeh if u dont get in, dont worry u can also transfer using the internal transfer system and its not hard to get into law once ur at macq, i was doing arts-psyche when i first got into macq and coulda done law at the end of my first year with my grades (they wern't even all that)

and yah my uai was 89

my friend actually did get into law with a uai of 88 or something n then did arts-psyche n then transferred into law and his grades were shittier than mine

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Okay, I fetched the Course Transfer sheet, and here it goes:

If you're NOT in a bachelor of law, the requirements are:
*Completion of law113/law114 (with a P required, not CP) and law103/law104 (P required, not CP)
*18 credit points with a GPA of 2.0
*Be eligible to transfer to the non-Law element

Now, with 93.55 you'll be able to get into B Business Admin coz the cutoff was only 84.05 last year and I doubt it'll go up to 93.55.. thats a hell of a jump lol so the 3rd point won't be a problem

*edits* and a GPA of 2.0 is what you get if you get a Pass in every subject, but you should aim for as high as possible coz as Asylum said (post below), its a quota system so you're competing for spots, rather than getting in automatically.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No. Its a quota system. 2.0 is the bare minimum, you're looking at 3.5 + to be competitive.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
My bad... lol but yeah, the rest of the stuff I said should be aiight.

I'll shut up now.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Mike, you do not necessarily need that high, but it begs the question, why aim for anything less than 4 in the first place.

Boxxxhead, you are correct, although i don't think law113/103 exist anymore. It's just 104 and 114.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Supra said:
Mike, you do not necessarily need that high, but it begs the question, why aim for anything less than 4 in the first place.

Boxxxhead, you are correct, although i don't think law113/103 exist anymore. It's just 104 and 114.
I think you're right coz all the law people I know did 114 and 104, but the transfer forms (which I got at the end of the semester 2 2007 exams) said law113/103 so I just copied that lol.. really makes you think that our uni should update stuff like that.

Then again if I were them I probably wouldn't bother updating... btw, is anybody else in 2nd year Actuarial/Applied Finance??

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Supra said:

True, it tends to be a combination of the UAI/GPA so with a fairly high existing GPA one could probably get through on 3.0 I guess.

And I guess it'd be less about aiming and more about actually getting the score :p

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
AsyLum said:
True, it tends to be a combination of the UAI/GPA so with a fairly high existing GPA one could probably get through on 3.0 I guess.

And I guess it'd be less about aiming and more about actually getting the score :p
my friend's Gpa the one who transsferred into law from arts-psyche... his GPA was 2.75 or something or even less actually

i remember it being really low and me being surprised he got into law with such a low gpa, i remember thinking at the time... it should have been higher.

anyway he's doing really well at law now anywhoo so oh well.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
If UAI >97, GPA wont be much of a factor, if at all! ;) Mind you, you have to write a decent cover letter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)