• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Custom print t-shirts (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
So a friend told me u can make custom prints tshirts by printing off an image/text of whatever you want (special printer required?), then ironing it onto the shirt.

How is this done?
Where are the tools purchased from? (pretty sure i can find some blank t-shirts and we already have an iron at home, but are special printing sheets/printers/ink required?)
How long does the image stay on the shirt for? (ie. how long till the image wears out from washing)
Any special washing instructions? (im assuming inside-out)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
you just print the image onto transfer paper using an inkjet printer, then place the image face down on the shirt and iron the back of it.
make sure the image is flipped though so that when you place the image on the shirt it will transfer in the right orientation
also, you'll need to buy different paper depending on the colour of the shirt (they sell black shirt or white shirt varieties).
it's best if you cut around the image you want to transfer. if you just iron on the whole sheet you get a whole A4 layer of plastic on the shirt.
and also, dont bend the paper at all until the ink is completely dry

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
The_highwayman's post is pretty much comprehensive, friend :p
The image usually lasts quite a while as long as you've used a decent paper/have ironed it down properly... and yeah you just use a regular inkjet printer, normal ink.
Head to Officeworks, if you can.... from memory we got our transfer paper from there last time we made a batch of shirts (they would have been the shirts our band wore for the party we played at a few weeks ago).
When you wash the shirts, wash them inside out, cold water, DON'T use fabric softener, just the detergent, don't do a soak cycle. Don't put it through the dryer, hang it out to dry, inside out.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
hmm, this kinda looks like more effort than its worth.

so somehow normal printer ink will get transferred to the shirt?
i dont understand how this is possible..............................:confused:

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
the ink prints onto a plastic-y layer on the paper.
then, when you iron the paper, the plastic softens, sticks to the fabric, and you peel the paper away.
then the ink is essentially 'trapped' between the fabric and the plastic layer.
well...sorta.

it really is quite simply. the hardest part is getting the placement of the transfer right. once you iron it, you cant move it. Theres nothing worse than making a transfer then realising it's off centre, crooked, too high, too low or on the wrong side.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
edit: friend from school runs it. the website looks a bit dodgy but it's all secure and proven etc., people from school get stuff off there all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)