• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Creative Writing: Fanfiction? (1 Viewer)

Ariga

HSC
When it comes to creative writing, I'm usually drawn to fanfiction (like writing a story using characters from say, a tv series). I was wondering if writing fanfic for the creative writing bit in the exam is appropriate, or will you be penalized for it? Like, the plot is totally original and fits into the Belonging concept, but you're using someone else's characters to write with. Would there be a copyright issue?
Anything you guys could tell me about it would be great :D

Oh also, would it work if you wrote fanfic but did it in a way that doesn't make the fandom obvious? Like say, you wouldn't write one about Spock and Picard on the Enterprise, because that would make it completely obvious. Only example I could come up with, lol.

Last edited:

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
copyright probably would be an issue; however, there is a slight chance that you could be asked to write from a character's perspective, if that counts.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I would try to avoid doing so if I were you unless it really is original and you have experience in doing these types of stories. If it doesn't work, you're screwed major time. If it does, well it'll have to be superb. Are you willing to take the risk?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Avoid avoid avoid. Markers will usually go "WTF is this". The point of creative writing is to be original, and by definition, fanfic usually isn't.

Linxthesontaran

HSC
I went to a seminar thingo at the university of sydney where an hsc english marker did a speach. he outright said: do not do fanfiction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)