• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

costume design: what era? (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
I'm doing costume design for "The Ham Funeral" by Patrick White. according to the script it is set in about 1919. And the landlady has a vaguely edwardian hairstyle...

Both these eras are different (costume wise).. there is the 1920's or early 1900's (like 1905 etc) which era should i choose?
Is it possible to combined them both considering the characters arent exactly high society "up with the fashion" kind of people. and its only a time span difference of about 15-20 years? can some be in Edwardian style (like the prostitutes) and the business woman in more 1920's style suit. Or is this not likely?

Is this too inconsistent? if so which era would be best?. Comments from anyone who did this play before is also appreciated...i'm a little lost

Lori.

HSC
At the start of the century, fashions were changing very quickly, much like they do today, so it probably wouldnt be very plausible for you to dress someone in a dress from 1905, when the play is set in 1919 - even if the characters are middle class - that would be like us dressing in our clothes from the 90s :/

I know that during the second world war, colour of clothing was toned down a lot; lots of earth/ nature colours (dull greens, browns, etc.) - this might also have applied to the first world war, but i'm not too sure.

Try searching for antique/ vintage 1920s clothing on ebay, you might be able to get some good pictures.

Theres an exhibition of footwear from the last two centuries on at the QVB right now, on the second level (free to look at) - they have beautiful shoes from about every decade of the past 200 years, maybe you should have a look at that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)