• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Conics Question (1 Viewer)

FD3S-R

a) Show that if y=mx+k is a tangent to the rectangular hyperbola xy=c^2, then k^2+4mc^2=0

b) Hence find the equations of the tangents from the point (-1, -3) to the rectangular hyperbola xy=4 and find the coordinates of their points of contact.

a) i can do, its just the discriminant.

b) need help!!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
FD3S-R said:
a) Show that if y=mx+k is a tangent to the rectangular hyperbola xy=c^2, then k^2+4mc^2=0

b) Hence find the equations of the tangents from the point (-1, -3) to the rectangular hyperbola xy=4 and find the coordinates of their points of contact.

a) i can do, its just the discriminant.

b) need help!!
I havn't done this kind of conics questions for a while but I remember that they really used to piss me off, here goes.

Consider the fact that m = -1/t<sup>2</sup> [gradient of (cp, c/p) point of contact] so:
mct + c/t = 0 (1)

(cp, c/p) satisfies y = mx + k so:
mct - c/t = -k (2)

(1) + (2) yields 2mct = -k so:
x = -k/2m

(1) - (2) yields 2c/t = k so:
y = k/2

You then have the coordinates of the points of contact in terms of k (-k/2m , k/2)

y = mx + k is satisfied by (-1, -3) and can be written as y + 3 = m(x+1) ---> y = mx + m-3 , &there4; k = m-3

by combining k= m - 3 and k<sup>2</sup> + 16m = 0 (since c<sup>2</sup> = 4) we obtain: m<sup>2</sup> + 10m + 9 = 0 where m = -1 or -9

when m = -1 , k= -4 ..... when m= -9, k= -12

this gives us the point of contact (-2, -2) with the tangent y = -x -4 and the point (-2/3 , -6) with the tangent y = -9x - 12 using y = mx + k and point of contact is (-k/2m, k/2)

There is probably a method which is elegant, this is just how I did it ages ago. If anyone can offer such a method, please do because this is way too long.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I think it's nice to have multiple answers, especially for conics when you have so many different paths you can take.

edit: damn, you should post it back up. Mine isn't that great in the first place.

brett86

HSC
its very similar to yours though...

i think ur solutions very good, its a lot clearer than mine

[EDIT: correct an error in the second tangent]

Last edited:

FD3S-R

a) Show that if y=mx+k is a tangent to the hyperbola x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 =1, then m^2.a^2 - b^2 = k^2

if y = mx+k touches the hyperbola at point p(asecθ, btanθ), then:
m = b/asinθ
amsinθ = b
amsinθ - b = 0 (1)

also P must satisfy y=mx+k ie:
btanθ = amsecθ+k
amsecθ - btanθ = -k (2)

how do i make this into m²a² - b² = k²

thanks

HSC
Isn't it the same as the ellipse one?
Sub in y=mx+c into x^2/a^2-y^2/b^2=1 and let delta=0
Although the way you've done it is probably just about there anyway

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
FD3S-R said:
a) Show that if y=mx+k is a tangent to the hyperbola x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 =1, then m^2.a^2 - b^2 = k^2

if y = mx+k touches the hyperbola at point p(asecθ, btanθ), then:
m = b/asinθ
amsinθ = b
amsinθ - b = 0 (1)

also P must satisfy y=mx+k ie:
btanθ = amsecθ+k
amsecθ - btanθ = -k (2)

how do i make this into m²a² - b² = k²

thanks
I think this is your problem: "m = b/asinθ" , --> at P dy/dx = bsec&theta;/atan&theta; = m

a.m.tan&theta; - bsec&theta; = 0 (1)

as you said: amsecθ - btanθ = -k (2)

(1)<sup>2</sup> = a<sup>2</sup>m<sup>2</sup>tan<sup>2</sup>&theta; + b<sup>2</sup>sec<sup>2</sup>&theta; -2ambtan&theta;sec&theta; = 0

(2)<sup>2</sup> = a<sup>2</sup>m<sup>2</sup>sec<sup>2</sup>&theta; + b<sup>2</sup>tan<sup>2</sup>&theta; - 2ambtan&theta;sec&theta; = k<sup>2</sup>

(1)<sup>2</sup> - (2)<sup>2</sup> =

a<sup>2</sup>m<sup>2</sup>(tan<sup>2</sup>&theta; - sec<sup>2</sup>&theta; ) + b<sup>2</sup>(sec<sup>2</sup>&theta; - tan<sup>2</sup>theta; ) = -k<sup>2</sup>

-a<sup>2</sup>m<sup>2</sup> + b<sup>2</sup> = - k<sup>2</sup>

&there4; a<sup>2</sup>m<sup>2</sup> - b<sup>2</sup> = k<sup>2</sup>

FD3S-R

yeah i just found out and someone posted reply before i can delete hehe

thanks anyway

lum

HSC
hey kfunk, good solutions!, but i got really lost at this part...
Consider the fact that m = -1/t2 [gradient of (cp, c/p) point of contact] so:
mct + c/t = 0 (1)

well if i sub bak x and y in, it's mx + y = 0, where was this from? and what's with the consider the fact that m = -1/t^2, where'd you use that?

i then did it myself as i had no idea why u did that, couldn't u just start at subbing in the pt into the tangent, get values for m, get values for k and work it out? i mean u didn't really use the first part of the working anyways.(prolly just that i'm not used for finding an expression first in terms of k and m though.., haven't done conics in a long time)

and brett, gw on ur sol'n too, but i don't understand the derivatives part, actually the last 4 lines... i did exactly the same thing as you up to the m=-1, k=-4 and m=-9, k=-12

i'm so failing the bloody cssa on monday...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)