• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Common data transfer protocols (1 Viewer)

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
How many of these are we supposed to learn? I was going to learn all 14 from the Heinemann textbook, but Heinemann has a tendancy to put in a lot of extra information. Should I learn them all?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I suggest that you read all 14, but I would not suggest you commit all 14 to memory! (Even I don't know all 14 off by heart, without receiving a hint or two to lead me into the description).

I suggest that you know the following though:

X.25
XModem
YModem
ZModem

TCP/IP
HTTP
FTP

The others are generally not tested, but I have seen a few questions about X/Y/ZModem - the differences such as "transferred in 1024 bytes long" and which ones have support for CRC, which do not, variable block sizes and so on (generally seen in Multiple Choice, but not Short Answer/Q21-24)

TCP/IP, HTTP and FTP would not be too difficult to know (a general idea, or some specific points).

But don't learn all 14, have a feel for them and get a sense of what they're about, but really, all that is required in an exam would be something like:

Define the term 'protocol'.
Explain what 'protocol' involves.
Give an example of two common protocols.
Define the term 'handshaking'.

It wouldn't go into too much detail, I would imagine :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by skip to my lou
how about MIME tho?
You should know, or have an understanding (getting the 'gist' of it) - but I really doubt that you'll find a question such as:

"Define MIME and explain it's use in everyday life"

Again, read the entire page, understand it (if possible) and commit to memory the main points, but don't try and memorise every data protocol in existence (hyperbole).

If you feel that you know all of them fairly well, and can be tested on every protocol - great!

But if you only know the main 2-5, that will suffice in my opinion.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Thanks for that. :D

Also, to avoid posting a new topic for such a small question, what is Control in Transaction Processing?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by honky tonk
Thanks for that. :D

Also, to avoid posting a new topic for such a small question, what is Control in Transaction Processing?
No problem honky tonk. :)

To explain control in TPS, you will have to look at the basic four characteristics of a TPS, namely:

* Rapid Response
* Reliability
* Inflexibility
* Controlled Processing

Skipping the first three, and onto controlled processing.

Controlled Processing
- Processing must support an organisation's operations

It is basically ensuring data integrity, accuracy and validity.

That is, the control in TPS would be something like concurrency or atomicity.

The ACID test is what comes to mind when I think of controlled processing in TPS.

You are ensuring that data is 'tight' and reliable, relevant and accurate.

If a question were to ask something like:

"Explain the controlled nature of a Transaction Processing System" (2 marks)

I would suggest that you only write 2 or 3 lines on it.

Points to note:

* Controlled processing is one of four important characteristics in a TPS (1 mark)
* Processing in a TPS must support the organisation's operations through controlled processing (1 mark)

You can then wrap it up by giving an example, (such as the one in Heinemann)

"For example, if an organisation allocates roles/responsibilities to particular employees, then the TPS should enforce and maintain this requirement"

In effect, controlled processing is like your data dictionary for an organisation, instead of a database.

Your database = your company, firm, organisation
Your data dictionary = provides the rules and steps required for controlled processing. They are "rules" or guidelines that are enforced in a TPS, to ensure the aforementioned data validation, accuracy, integrity and overall reliability.

:)

I don't envisage this question to be asked, rather I would expect something like:

"Define a Transaction Processing System and identify the four important characteristics of a TPS" (3 marks)

1 mark goes to the TPS definition
2 marks goes to writing:

- Rapid Response
- Reliability
- Inflexibility
- Controlled Processing

:)

fatmuscle

HSC
X.25
XModem
YModem
ZModem

yeah, read these ones

but the more used ones
HTTP, FTP, TCP/IP
and your main email protocols.

pop
imap
smtp

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
we've only learnt the easy ones like;

HTTP
FTP
POP3
SMTP

basically i had to read the textbook to find out the rest.. im thinking of suing my IPT teacher for negligence (there is ONE page of notes on Multimedia Systems in my exercise book!)

Huss

HSC
N/A
our ipt teacher never tought us protocols only the definition...ohhwell theres always the book

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)