• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Commercial Law - what textbook?! (1 Viewer)

T

thegovernator

I'm enrolled in Commercial Law at UTS this semester, and I was wondering what would be a good textbook to borrow/buy that meets the subject description (below). I've tried contacting the uni but they say that it's a new subject being offered and there is no subject outline or recommended texts for it as yet. I just want to get a leg up before semester starts. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thankyou.

"6cp

Requisite(s): 70211 Contracts AND 70311 Torts
Undergraduate and Postgraduate In this subject students develop an understanding of aspects of commercial transactions. Students are introduced to concepts of personal property. They also examine the law relating to chattel leases, cheques, negotiable instruments, insurance, guarantees, sale of goods, product liability and the application of ss. 52, 80, 82 and 87 of the Trade Practices Act to commercial transactions."

onetwothree

HSC
I just looked up the co-op bookshop online text list (http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/bookshop - go to "book search" then "text list search") for that subject and it comes up with the following:

Institution: UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY - BROADWAY
Course Code: 70327
Subject: COMMERCIAL LAW
Lecturer: FRANCIS JOHNS
Store: UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY

Title: Commercial Law Readings (custom Publication)
Author: Johns
Notes:

Availability*: On Order
Expecting Delivery Shortly

Member Price: $98.95
Price: $109.95

So basically it seems like you'll be getting a brick/reading guide, rather than a recommended textbook. For present purposes, I can suggest "Commercial Law" by SJ Traves (Lexis Nexis Butterworths). That was the textbook for the commercial law course at my uni and it is highly readable (overly easy, if anything). The editing is a bit funny in places...like whole pages being randomly repeated. I would borrow it rather than buy it, though. We also had a brick of readings to cover certain topics which the Traves textbook doesn't deal with. Sorry, can't remember what these were. Anyway, Traves deals with Sale of Goods in detail, and that was a significant portion (a quarter/third?) of our course - perhaps start with that.

If you're ultra keen, perhaps try contacting the lecturer. I looked them up out of interest and saw that they have a pending publication which is a commercial law textbook...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)