• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

combined commerce/science degree (1 Viewer)

PF

HSC
hi, does anyone know how many contact hours per week there are for combined comm(actuarial major)/sci(maths major)? i tried looking in the online handbook but i couldnt find hours for maths... do the lecturers also post up their notes online (i.e. can i skip lectures all the time? :D) also, does anyone know if i can do a single major in comm, and a double major in sci? at a unsw open day, i asked a lecturer or admin or something and they werent sure - they said hecs might not cover three majors in a combined degree

thanks!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
1. The number of contact hours will differ from semester to semester depending on Course Availability (i.e. Whether this course runs in sem 1 or sem 2 or both semesters). So the course information provider you talked to was quite right.

2. Some lecturers post up their notes on our Student to Teacher server known as WebCT or Omini. Though Math lecturers love making you write stuff still in lectures, so if you miss the lecture, its as good as no notes + no working out. Once again it differs between different lecturers/Profs.

3. Well, whenever students choose double majors, its more for single degrees. You'll be studying like crazy just with 2 majors each for the degrees. Whether HECS will cover you, it'll depend on your eftsl (should tell you on UNSW Online handbook).

drmix

HSC
N/A
if u r doin a com/sci degree u r only allowed to do one major in each

For the award of the degrees of BCom BSc, the following requirements must be satisfied:
Completion of 192 units of credit including:
At least 84 units of credit from the courses offered by the Faculty of Commerce and Economics and 84 units of credit from courses for the BSc.
Completion of the required courses for a single major in one of the approved areas of study in the Faculty of Commerce and Economics, as listed in this Handbook. Students are unable to take a modern language as a major stream.
Completion of the required courses for a major in one approved Science discipline. Available majors for the science component are listed in Table A in the Science section of the Handbook. A Computer Science major may only be undertaken with the permission of the School of Computer Science and Engineering.
The remaining 24 units of credit not required for a major sequence under Commerce and Economics or Science and not Year 1 core courses, may be chosen from any other courses taught by the Faculty of Commerce and Economics or selected from Table A in the Science entry in the UNSW Undergraduate Handbook

Last edited:

implicity

HSC
Regarding contact hours - it really depends what subjects you take in that particular semester (maths subjects are generally more hours than commerce subjects). Last year semester 1 I had 18 hours, semester 2 was 15, and this year semester 1 is 19.

Online lecture notes - I had this for all my subjects except for math1151/1251. You'd still be better off going to lectures though otherwise you might miss out on extra info which could be pretty useful in the final exams.

I'm pretty sure you can do a double major in science - maths & stats, along with the actuarial studies major in commerce... that's what I'm doing anyway. If you have a look at the requirements for a double major in maths and stats, you'll see that the number of units amounts to 84 which is the minimum you need for your Science component. The remaining 108 units (84 minimum for B Comm + 24 extra) cover the actuarial major in your Commerce component.
That's what I thought anyway. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh and remember you can trade 2002 for the two stat courses, which frees up some subjects.

for actuary/maths plan, for sem 1 you are typically looking at:

acct 1a - 3 hrs
micro 1 - 3 hrs
maths (actl) - 6 hrs
discrete - 6 hrs
============
18 hrs

as for the double major, you can complete the requirements but you will only be awarded one major.

implicity

HSC
blackfriday said:
as for the double major, you can complete the requirements but you will only be awarded one major.
Really? argh.

I heard some people went to the faculty and managed to get recognition for both their maths and stats majors though.. Or something like that anyway.

Does this also apply to Comm/Eco? Only one major awarded in each component?

drmix

HSC
N/A
for com/eco u can do 3 majors

v. A student may have only three majors recognised in this combined degree program.The combined program can be structured in one of the following options:

Single Major in Economics and Double Major in Commerce
Double Major in Economics and Single Major in Commerce
Single Major in Economics and Single Major in Commerce with 2 minors
Single Major in Economics and Single Major in Commerce with 1 minor and more electives

drmix

HSC
N/A
implicity said:
Really? argh.

I heard some people went to the faculty and managed to get recognition for both their maths and stats majors though.. Or something like that anyway.

lol yeh it suxs...if it was possible i would of done fins and acct coz it fits in the program...oh wells...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
implicity said:
Really? argh.

You get a maths/stats double major coz the School of Maths actively pushes the Science Faculty to recognise it. I dont think this happens in other schools.

implicity

HSC
§eraphim said:
You get a maths/stats double major coz the School of Maths actively pushes the Science Faculty to recognise it. I dont think this happens in other schools.
w00t
I love the School of Mathematics & Statistics

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
uhhh...so you're saying its too hectic but im MEANT to do them all at once...haha i think you were meant to put a 'not' before 'supposed'.

the new quantitative risk subject looks interesting but im sure if its worth doing before completing my level 2 requirements.

PF

HSC
18 hours PER WEEK?!!!!!! :( :( noooooo... that's like 3 and a half hrs per day! i thought uni would involve at least some bludging ><

is it easy to fit all the lectures into like 3 separate days so i dont have to travel to uni every day for just one lecture? i knew an arts student who fit theirs into 2 days but is that possible for maths?

thanks

blackfriday said:
yeh and remember you can trade 2002 for the two stat courses, which frees up some subjects.

for actuary/maths plan, for sem 1 you are typically looking at:

acct 1a - 3 hrs
micro 1 - 3 hrs
maths (actl) - 6 hrs
discrete - 6 hrs
============
18 hrs

implicity

HSC
PF said:
18 hours PER WEEK?!!!!!! :( :( noooooo... that's like 3 and a half hrs per day! i thought uni would involve at least some bludging ><

is it easy to fit all the lectures into like 3 separate days so i dont have to travel to uni every day for just one lecture? i knew an arts student who fit theirs into 2 days but is that possible for maths?

thanks
Arts students don't have as many hours as Commerce students - plus since you'd be doing the combined degree, it means even more hours than other Commerce students. Math1151/Math1251 are also 4 days a week so there's no way you can get out of that, unless of course you skip lectures but that means jeopardising your final results lol.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
implicity said:
since you'd be doing the combined degree, it means even more hours than other Commerce students. lol.
How so? in both cases you do equal number of subjects (equal number of UOC per session). Combined commerce degree doesn't mean you do twice as much as anyone else.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Most combined degrees mean an extra year or 2 in addition to a single degree's duration.

I.e. Single degree (with no Hons) = 3 Years.
Double degree (with no hons) = 4 or was it 5? (But it's only between 1-2 extra years to complete these degrees)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, but on a per session basis, you do the same amount of work, therefore, equivalent number of hours. I thought we were talking about how many hrs per week for single comm degree compared with combined comm degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)