• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

co-op scholarships - what do you need? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Is there a great emphasis on extracurricular activities?
I guess my marks are sufficient, I'm expecting 99+. I can get great academic references from my teachers. But I have NO extracurricular activities at the moment. The deadline for the scholarship application is 30th of september. Is it too late to start doing some extracurriculars?

I won't lie; I will do these activities solely for the purpose of this scholarship. Would I have to write the date of when I did these activites? Will they see through me when they see all my acitivies are done in september? =/ Any suggestions on what activities can be done? Specific ones...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
yes it is too late, they will see that you are tying to cram in stuff, lol

just fill out what you can and go for it. Which one are you going for?

Giant Lobster

HSC
argh... its too late?
man, I do have leadership skills! :(
I want the commerce one
either accounting or the new one, finance

would it be possible to get a coop for BComm and still combine with Law?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
no, you can't do double degree with co-op.

did you go to the co-op info day? they stress that the work experience is eqivalent to the
second degree. Though you can do a masters of commerce at the end of your 4 years.
This would be a coursework masters rather than a research masters.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
what are the criteria's for these co-op scholarships? I've got all these extra curricular activities and leadership qualities but my marks aren't all that flash...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
they say you need min 93.

but i would say you need much more than that for the popular ones like acturial studies.

or the rare ones where there are only a few spaces

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i SHOULD be able to get 95+ uai. Oh well, im only in year 11 atm. I am going for the ADFA Education Award though, i hope i get that laptop...

addz

HSC
Giant said:
I won't lie; I will do these activities solely for the purpose of this scholarship. Would I have to write the date of when I did these activites? Will they see through me when they see all my acitivies are done in september? =/ Any suggestions on what activities can be done? Specific ones...

you dont need date..a year for it is probably sufficient. when i did it, i didnt really have any extracurricular stuff..but managed to put a few down in the application form (sports especially and misc. charities)...they dont really ask about it in the interview...but rather they ask you about your skills or very briefly your interests and skills gained from extra curricular activties...but never almost directly. it seems, the reasoning behind extra curricular is just for the application screening process.

Last edited:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
My friend who got the BIT co-op at unsw said almost everyone who applied got the scholarship, but I would assume the commerce co-ops would be harder to get.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
commerce co-op at unsw has a waiting list!
some has TWO waiting lists! one main and one backup because there are so many people wanting them

Giant Lobster

HSC
i only want coop for the work experience to be honest
i couldnt care less about the 13k they give me / yr, srsly

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
Giant Lobster said:
i only want coop for the work experience to be honest
i couldnt care less about the 13k they give me / yr, srsly
if u dont care u can give it to me

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
enak said:
My friend who got the BIT co-op at unsw said almost everyone who applied got the scholarship, but I would assume the commerce co-ops would be harder to get.
lol, yeah they are many many many BIT places though

Giant Lobster

HSC
crazybrad said:
haha well i dont have it yet do i
but nah money's nice
if i get it, its mine :p

on a different note, what's stopping me from lying? quite frankly, i dont see them tracking each and every claim i make down. Just think fo the logistics involved if they were to verify stuff for every candidate!

also, (i havent got the form yet) on the form, what sections / questions must i answer that verifies the authenticity of what i write?

Giant Lobster

HSC
crazybrad said:
haha well i dont have it yet do i
but nah money's nice
if i get it, its mine :p

on a different note, what's stopping me from lying? quite frankly, i dont see them tracking each and every claim i make down. Just think fo the logistics involved if they were to verify stuff for every candidate!

also, (i havent got the form yet) on the form, what sections / questions must i answer that verifies the authenticity of what i write?

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
if it looks like your the best canidate i think then they would verify

Giant Lobster

HSC
I'm a pathetic liar :(

sigh I guess theyll see through my attempt anyway
bye bye co-op :(

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Giant Lobster said:
I'm a pathetic liar :(

sigh I guess theyll see through my attempt anyway
bye bye co-op :(
btw, academic referees aren't too bad, I had tennis coach and maths teacher as referees.

xing

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm a current 2nd coop student, so I thought I might be able to suggest a couple of things.

UAI requirements tends to be the mid-90s so the first thing we do when u file ur application is make sure that ur trial marks are good enuf. Then we will next check for well-roundedness. But there is some tradeoff between marks and extra-corricular stuff, so if u have super marks, u might be able to get away with not as much extra-corricular.

We tend to offer 2-3 interviews for each coop place we have. For popular coop places such as actuarial studies, accounting and finance, we may offer 4-5 interview places for each place we have. u'll be interviewed by the actual sponsors, so they decide who gets in. Oh yeah, just a word of advice, it's all good if u write a load of bs in ur application, but remember that the interview is what counts in the end. So don't make it hard for urself cos they've got circular questions going to check that u actually are what u claim to be. For those that are intending to do actuarial coop, they also may ask a mathsy question, so be prepared.

Finally and most importantly, u CAN prepare for hte interviews. I can almost guarantee they'd ask u to give an example of ur leadership, compassion, conflict resolution, relationship with teachers/friends. Also they should ask u what ur strengths and weaknesses are and how that's going to affect u in the work environment. Just keep those questions in mind when u are filling out ur application =)

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)