• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

christianity and dinosaurs> can they be friends? (4 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Evolution does not state that we evolved FROM apes, it believes that we evolved around the same line as apes...

Obviously carbon dating techniques are wrong if the earth hasn't been here for millions of years..

You really believe Psychics communicate with spirits that only know initials... which is very common to a trick that i've done before at parties...?

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Evolution does not state that we evolved FROM apes, it believes that we evolved around the same line as apes...

Obviously carbon dating techniques are wrong if the earth hasn't been here for millions of years..

You really believe Psychics communicate with spirits that only know initials... which is very common to a trick that i've done before at parties...?
Well most psychics are just quacks, but some of them aren't, they dabble in the occult.

With carbon dating I thought it could only date things that are over millions of years old (or something like that), so how do you prove that carbon dating works?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes i agree.
However evolution does occour.. almost all scientists agree to this, the theory of evolution is simply a theory to explain evolution. Evolution its self is not a theory.. evolution occours much as flight occours, there is the theory of flight which tries to explain it, and there is flight.. which does occour.

Yes evolution hasn't been proven beyond unquestionable doubt.. but most scientists... i'd say 98% or something like that agree that it does occour.

They are TWO separate things.
Well said!

Not-That-Bright said:
It reminds me of the ancient aztecs.. back then the people didn't know that the reason why the sun rises and sets, so they used gods to explain it... which was fairly handy.

People these days are probably little different from people back then, and i'm sure that the same exact thing is happening here... It seems to be human nature to invent a god or a spirit or an alternate world (ie, aboriginal dreamtime) to solve questions they have no answers to.
True, we invent labels for our fears and/or unknowns

Not-That-Bright said:
is it more likely that there is a solution in the natural world that just hasn't been thought of yet?, or that there's another world where all these rules just don't apply?
Exactly

lengstar

HSC
I think God spoke to me. He said to redeem my sins i should sacrifice both my sisters.

waterfowl

HSC
lengstar said:
I think God spoke to me. He said to redeem my sins i should sacrifice both my sisters.
Well that obviously wasn't God, because God sent Jesus so that sacrifices aren't necessary anymore.

Rorix

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I get the feeling you "delight in professing opinions which are not your own" :)
Oh, I do:).

I see what you're getting at but can we know that it cannot exist in the natural world? I don't think you can definitely say that.
The creation of the universe to this day has been a completed task, thus it consists of a finite number of steps. The universe cannot create itself on its own, due to various scientific principles - so something existing outside the universe must have created it?

I'll reply more later; I have a lecture and I should be working :)
I have the HSC and that's not stopping me:)

lengstar

HSC
In the name of Christ there was the Crusades.

malkin86

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
God often AFTER he sent jesus killed people and ordered people to kill...
Biblical citation, please?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
The creation of the universe to this day has been a completed task, thus it consists of a finite number of steps. The universe cannot create itself on its own, due to various scientific principles - so something existing outside the universe must have created it?
Or something before the universe? By universe you could mean the area that all the matter occupies - it could have been empty beforehand. In which case something wouldn't necessarily be "outside" the universe, more occupying the space which the universe now resides in. But anyway, how this leads to saying that there is a god, I don't see

Rorix said:
I have the HSC and that's not stopping me:)
Jesus! Get back to work! Now I feel guilty for distracting people :p

Don't make my mistake and get distracted in your last opportunity of studying. Though I suppose you're at least distracting yourself with something intellectual..

Rorix

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
... But anyway, how this leads to saying that there is a god, I don't see

Jesus! ...
sup freud :cool:

stamos

sellout
HSC
this discussion reminds me of the saying 'there is not enough matter within the universe to explain the matter within the universe'

i'm sure most of you already know it, but you're just running in circles here

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea but to me it seems weird that christians on the most part... wether they openly admit it or not think that psychics are liars, or the latest thing is that they're dabbling in the 'dark arts', come on guys...

Have your religion, but don't build up this huge world of falsities when some things simply can't be explained religiously.. (at least justifiably)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
stamos said:
this discussion reminds me of the saying 'there is not enough matter within the universe to explain the matter within the universe'

i'm sure most of you already know it, but you're just running in circles here
I wouldn't say circles. Just long paths a lot of people can't be bothered challenging because they can't see a giant flashing billboard at the end telling them the answer.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The only problem i have with these discussions.. is that the basis of them is usually 'u win when you convince me that my faith is wrong, i win when i convince u my faith is right' which simply just.. probably wont happen.

I think it's much better when people say something like 'prove to me that the bible has abscurities', 'how can you dismiss evolution?', etc etc..

waterfowl

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea but to me it seems weird that christians on the most part... wether they openly admit it or not think that psychics are liars, or the latest thing is that they're dabbling in the 'dark arts', come on guys...

Have your religion, but don't build up this huge world of falsities when some things simply can't be explained religiously.. (at least justifiably)
I don't think psychics are liars, often they are true, but it's always bad news, and listening to what they say has bad consequences.
And they can be explained, it says in the Bible that psychics listen to demons, or whatever you want to call spirits that work for the devil

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I think it's much better when people say something like 'prove to me that the bible has abscurities', 'how can you dismiss evolution?', etc etc..
fine, show me how evolution can be dismissed.

stamos

sellout
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I wouldn't say circles. Just long paths a lot of people can't be bothered challenging because they can't see a giant flashing billboard at the end telling them the answer.
if you believe that you can unravel the mysteries of the universe on bos, good luck to you

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
waterfowl said:
I don't think psychics are liars, often they are true, but it's always bad news, and listening to what they say has bad consequences.
And they can be explained, it says in the Bible that psychics listen to demons, or whatever you want to call spirits that work for the devil
Psychics deliver good news,
ie - You will meet the love of your life at some type of night club (again.. easy to tell that someone young might meet people at a night club..)

Waterfowl.. in the bible it says alot of things, where are the 'some of my followers who will live for all eternity', living in isreal in some cave up on a mountain? lol
Come up with something new and personal, i get tired of quoting the bible..

Hipsta, i would but i can't ... i'm just too strong an atheist and critical thinker to lower myself to saying things that really don't sound right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)